1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

CNHI's Merry Christmas

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by kimronspringle, Dec 14, 2009.

1. podunk press

podunk press Active Member

This is quite Scrooge-like.

2. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

I think working for a national retailer would be mind-numbing.

3. SouthernStyle

SouthernStyle Member

That's the first thing I thought. See, beyond popular belief in Birmingham, some of us have families and Christmas can take a toll without extra financial burdens. And there won't be any recovery at the beginning of the year thanks to round three of furloughs. hell, my family is still recovering from the debt that piled up during the first two rounds of furloughs.

And just think, I went to college to avoid situations like this.

4. Wenders

Wenders Well-Known Member

The people at my shop said it had something to do with interest rates. I was like...they're just making shit up now to short-change us.

I'm still going to get 40 hours this week WITH the furlough day, so the people in Birmingham can kiss my ass.

Question: has anyone else been told about the Web site redesign/new Web site updating policy/video cameras? My shop pulled us all in for a meeting last week and told us we have to start updating the Web site three times a day and we're going to start doing video after the new year.

Just tremendous. We have a higher-up coming in February and I've got some questions to ask them. Like if we're so hard up for cash and taking furloughs and wage freezes, why are we suddenly buying video equipment? And asking our oh-so-knowledgeable employees to start doing more shit that they don't know how to do on less? I hate corporate America.

5. Colton

Colton Active Member

Wenders: We received the "three times a day" spiel a couple of weeks ago, too. There won't be any video at our shop, though. Just last week, we were finally upgraded with refurb machines that allow us to *gasp* actually open our own Web site and AP Exchange.

At this rate, video is not even a thought at my shop.

6. tmayforth

tmayforth Member

The CEO and president decided not to show up yesterday and won't be stopping by today.

7. Kato

Kato Well-Known Member

I'm sure this is true everywhere, but the biggest problem with furloughs at our CNHI shop is that we all end up working way too hard to compensate for those who are gone. The days are spread out among the staff. People cram to get extra work done on their beat before their off day. Others have to pick up extra assignments when their coworkers are on furlough. Our copy desk is nearly a skeleton crew when everyone is available.

We never actually show the higher-ups that this actually hurts (or should hurt) the product. So it's easy to see why they'd think they can cram in one more day before the end of the year.

(By the way, our shop has not yet received news of this extra furlough day yet.)

8. Kato

Kato Well-Known Member

Just go the word ... Since we don't have a Christmas Day paper, they're closing the office on Dec. 24 and making it an unpaid day for everyone. I hope no news breaks that day.

It's a Festivus miracle.

9. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

The solution is simple. Don't work so hard to compensate for those who are gone. If stuff doesn't get done, it doesn't get done, plain and simple.

10. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

11. Kato

Kato Well-Known Member

Right. Tell that to the editors trying to fill the paper. They don't exactly see it that way.

12. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I'm sure they don't. But essentially, you are working for free if they're making you do a whole day's work prior to taking an unpaid day off.

Draft saved Draft deleted