1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

CNHI to cut AP

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Colton, Aug 9, 2007.

1. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

I don't want to believe it either, Frank. But CNHI is one of the cheap companies that embodies the penny-wise and pound-foolish philosophy that is spreading like a plague, as do JRC, Singleton, Heartland, Boone and, to some extent, Gannett. None of them can see the forest for the trees.

FWIW, I hope AP doesn't feel a thing when CNHI is dumb enough to do this - and I believe they're dumb enough to try. I just hope all the good people in that chain have good enough parachutes to jump out of the plane.

2. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

when you have non-newspaper people running a newspaper chain, what do you expect?

3. Colton

Colton Active Member

I need to jump off this nag... and soon, I'm afraid. :-\

4. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

had a cnhi refugee join a sister paper last week and she says her paper was paying $10 per hour for experienced college grads, allowed no more than 40 hours and paid no mileage.

also, my current sports editor was at another area cnhi paper under a sports editor who's been there for at least 15 years and i'm paying my guy ($26k a year plus $75 a week auto allowance) more than his than his previous boss is still making.

apparently cnhi deserves to die as a publishing group.

5. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

take it for what you want but i was told today that it may not be a matter of cnhi dropping a.p. but instead a.p. cutting off cnhi for nonpayment. and that ain't the biggest of their money problems.

6. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Well ... fill us in.. what is?

7. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Considering the story on this thread seemingly changes by the day, I'm thinking the bullshit content on here -- intended or not -- is pretty high.

8. Colton

Colton Active Member

I can only relay the shitstream that came down from above a couple of weeks ago.

I sure hope it is indeed BS.

9. printdust

printdust New Member

CNHI is Gannett's son of a bitch younger half-brother.

The people don't know shit about anything but squeezing a buck out of a product. Once they squeeze all they can, they'll try to figure out how to make something out of the donut hole.

And that ain't the part that's edible.

10. printdust

printdust New Member

Let's follow the logic:

Cut AP, then cut mileage and correspondents, which means you cover anything within a rock's throw of the office.

Can you say three empty fucking pages a night with a "Team Nosewipe wins shitknocker Beisbol tourney at our fabulous local park" team photo being a 5 column lead photo?

It would appear you can at that piece of shit.

11. Colton

Colton Active Member

printdust: At my shop, the mileage is about as low as possible already (20 cents per) and my stringer budget was slashed, too.

12. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

20 cents. wow.

Draft saved Draft deleted