1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

CNHI second quarter furlough rumblings?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by slotman1, Feb 23, 2011.

1. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Have Gannett and other media companies stopped furloughs for the past six months or maybe longer?

Haven't really heard of any, except those with CNHI.

2. Colton

Colton Active Member

Just confirmed, SOP for the second quarter.

Sigh...

3. Kato

Kato Well-Known Member

Yep, we got the word last week,

Better late than never right? ... Seriously, people were already planning out their days even before it was official; it's just the norm now.

I think I've lost count on the number of days, but I believe after this round it will be 60 (!) furlough days for CNHI employees since second quarter of '09 when they were first announced. That's 12 weeks — three months! — over three years (no raises over that time either). For me, that's 12 mortgage payments.

But it's also 12 weeks of having to work ahead/catch up/fill in for others/squeeze in extra duties ... all to make sure a daily paper gets out on time. And people aren't even angry anymore. I remember when the furloughs (they call them DOWOP — days off without pay — doowop?) were first announced, it was met with shock, a few quarters later came real anger, then it became frustration, now it's just some eye rolls and expectation of them never ending. We've been beaten down.

4. Colton

Colton Active Member

Could not agree more, Kato. Could not agree more.

5. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

There-in lies the problem.

Corporate tells you they don't want to pay you for the full year, why do the extra work to cover their asses? Do your normal duties, let the paper come out later, and blame corporate.

Draft saved Draft deleted