1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

CNHI second quarter furlough rumblings?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by slotman1, Feb 23, 2011.

1. flexmaster33

flexmaster33 Well-Known Member

Different shop...same spiel nearly by the letter.
    One addition to make...last fall they called a meeting announcing the end of furloughs for select months upcoming...two weeks later, we get a mass email saying to disregard...back on furloughs as regular...been over a year now. ughhh.

2. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

I definitely feel for all the people I know at my former CNHI shop. Sorry guys and gals :-(

3. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Furloughs suck, suck, suck.

However, not to be a dick, but if you work at a CNHI shop and haven't figured furloughs into your personal budgets by now, well, you should if you can.

4. This apply to Joplin? I would hope they merit an exception.

5. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

On the one bright side, at least you get the time off.

It would be worse if they just decided to cut your pay, and make you work the same hours.

6. Kato

Kato Well-Known Member

I know many people who have done that — including me. But assuming that there will be five more in the fourth quarter of this year (and why wouldn't I), that will be 50 days in 2 3/4 years. Fifty! Calculating my normal take-home pay, that means I will have lost the equivalent of five mortgage payments over 33 months.

And I want to know this: How many people will have seen their workload drop by 50 days over that same span. Very few, IMO. People work extra hard on the days before and after their furlough days at our shop to make up for their day(s) off. Also, other reporters and copy editors are constantly picking up the slack — and being asked to — for people who are gone on furlough. Sadly, because we're still trying to put out a daily paper to the best of our ability, we do that. In other words, we end up showing the bosses — whether they're our immediate supervisors, individual paper publishers or the bigwigs in Alabama — that furloughs work. The only place the furloughs have hurt is in our homes; we have failed to show the pain that they bring to the business and the product. Perhaps quality has suffered but that seems to be the least of this company's concerns.

7. Suicide Squeezer

Suicide Squeezer Active Member

Haven't gotten the official "letter" yet for the third quarter. Two weeks out, seems like they're cutting it pretty close. Anybody else?

8. slotman1

slotman1 New Member

Word's been out in our shop for at least a week -- another 5 days in Q3, of course.

9. printdust

printdust New Member

They just take whatever the current economic woe is and justify it.

You guys ought to stand up to it as a company-wide move to protest it. No company in America is doing this crap indefinitely.

10. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Agreed. The entire newsroom (and perhaps rest of the building) should walk out en masse and all take furloughs at the same time as a way of saying this is unacceptable. It's the old "strength in numbers" philosophy.

11. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

Its occured to me that if the Alabama teachers whose pensions we are suffering to save were asked to take FIFTY unpaid days they would march on Birmingham like the folks in Wisconsin.

12. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

They're being asked to swallow some pretty big health insurance increases with no raises for three years running. Still doesn't compare with what CNHI folk have endured.

Draft saved Draft deleted