1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

CNHI sackings

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by slotman1, Mar 6, 2013.

1. slotman1

slotman1 New Member

So after four years of furloughs and layoffs for the peons, some executives finally got the ax today at the North of Boston properties. Eagle-Tribune publisher Al Getler got frog-marched out at midday, ET ad director Tim Brady also went, and Newburyport Daily News publisher Sheila Smith was ousted. Probably has something to do with the report I see elsewhere on this site that CNHI's numbers for January were off about 60% year-to-year. Wouldn't seem to bode well for anyone anywhere in the chain.

2. As I posted on a CNHI job posting...hours were cut for about six positions today at my small shop. Were told that we needed to trim page count by four each week, my understanding that is a number expected from every location.

Can confirm that January or CNHI-corp.wide was down 60%...we're in the midwest region, to not be too specific, if you smell what I'm stepping in.

We're told they're implementing a paywall in April, have a new company to handle that and each site's e-editon.

All of the cuts are just the beginning though.

Clarification/Edit: "we" weren't down in January, but "CNHI" was...

3. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

I honestly wonder "What's the point?" anymore at a lot of these places. If you are not given the resources to do a quality job and management could care less, why bother? It's not as though we are getting rich. And it's not as though we don't have skills that can't be put to use in other capacities.

I hear from more and more former newspaper people who have gotten out --- either to other media realms or non-media fields --- and have no desire to get back into it.

Draft saved Draft deleted