1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

CNHI Question

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by FPH, Nov 23, 2009.

1. FPH

FPH New Member

OK, I know the reputation that CNHI has with you guys on this board. But I was recently offered a sports editor gig at a CNHI shop in a town that has a college and some decent high schools. The paper looks like a pretty good product and from what I've heard the previous sports editors at the paper have gone on to a lot better jobs. It's also fairly close to home for me, which I consider a plus.

I'm a recent college grad and know how hard it is to break into the business right now. Maybe it's not ideal but would you recommend taking this gig? And if you say I shouldn't please give me some reasons other than "CNHI sucks!" This is a tough decision and I need as much input as possible. Thanks in advance.

2. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

Given the lack of detail provided, I'd just say this: If you're dead-set on getting into the business and this is your only offer, go for it. Can't get your second job until you get your first one.

Just be prepared to put up with all the trappings that come with CNHI employment — low wages, long hours, furloughs, all the other delights that have been detailed on this board many times over.

3. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

Regardless of the trappings of being at CNHI, a job is a job. And if you don't have one, this really is a no-brainer.
    Considering the position a lot of us have been in over the past couple of months, any job beats no job.

4. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Like others have said, it's a job and any job these days is good.

Plus, it's a supervisory position, which helps your resume. (Well, I'm assuming you'd have at least one staff writer).

5. FPH

FPH New Member

I should add that even though it's an editor position the only people working under me will be stringers. From what I understand the stringers they have do a little more than your typical stringers, but still.

Thanks for the advice. I was thinking the same things you guys have told me but like I said, just wanted some more opinions.

6. beanpole

beanpole Member

I used to be in CNHI. If you PM me the location, I can at least tell you if it has a good reputation and management. For CNHI, that is.

7. podunk press

podunk press Active Member

You take the job. You meet people. You work your ass off. You do the best job you can. You leave and move on to bigger and better things.

I say go for it, regardless the trappings.

Rick Maese didn't exactly start at The Washington Post.

Draft saved Draft deleted