1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

CNHI may close some papers

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by chazp, Jul 29, 2008.

1. chazp

chazp Active Member

According to the rumor mill where I work, CNHI may close (I would hope they would shop them) some weekly newspapers at the end of this fiscal year. If this happens at my shop, should I draw unemployment and look for another fulltime gig, or should I string for larger papers in the area? If the papers do close, couldn't they still be bought by another chain and be opened again?
  2. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

WOL, chazp.

(Weeping out loud.)

3. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

Yes, they could be bought and remain open without missing a deadline. At least I would think so.

And, personally, if I was ever bought out or laid off, I'd be stringing and going back to school.
  4. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Chazp, what makes you think the larger papers in the area would want you to string for them? They know you, right?
  5. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

They're already giving him a deadline for 2009 so he'll be right on time.
  6. Wenders

Wenders Active Member

Not very surprising. I work for a CNHI paper and right now, the only discussions are about how much money we can save. Do you know which ones they're talking about closing, as of now? (You can send me a PM if you don't want to discuss it here.)
  7. chazp

chazp Active Member

Actually I work at a biweekly with deadlines that allow me to get the games from the night before in the next day's paper (Tuesday night 10 p.m. deadline for Wednesday's paper and 11:45 p.m. Friday deadline for Saturday's paper), so I already work on deadlines like a daily does.
  8. BYH

BYH Active Member

Good luck getting dailies to see it that way.

Not being snarky. Just speaking from experience.
  9. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

BYH is right, and the dailies look at it that way because, while you may be good a couple nights a week on deadline, the grind at a daily is decidedly different. I know because I made that leap, and it takes time to get used to the different pace.
  10. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

OTOH, sometimes it has nothing to do with the former place of employment but everything to do with the former employee.
  11. BYH

BYH Active Member

What really pisses/pissed me off is that I went from a daily to something else to a weekly (back when the economy was in the crapper earlier this decade...sound familiar?) and no one would even look at me. It was like the previous daily experience didn't even count.

It's OK. their loss.
  12. Wow.

And to think CNHI is one of the four semifinalists looking to purchase ALL of LCNI's dailies and weeklies.
Draft saved Draft deleted