1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

CNHI layoffs

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by slotman1, Nov 7, 2012.

1. slotman1

slotman1 New Member

Another round of layoffs today at CNHI properties in Massachusetts. Extent still unclear at this point. Is this happening elsewhere in CNHI??

2. Colton

Colton Active Member

(Thank the Lord) haven't heard of this at my shop.

3. slotman1

slotman1 New Member

Seem like the North of Boston properties were the only ones hit by what I'm hearing was a direct edict from Alabama to reduce headcount.

The timing was as mean-spirited and cynical as anything I've ever seen: They made sure they had a full staff for the presidential election, then shitcanned 21 people the morning after. Just plain nasty.

4. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

FWIW: http://www.boston.com/businessupdates/2012/11/08/eagle-tribune-and-sister-papers-cut-jobs/uU6XJavo3epHLJMWsEyNrO/story.html

5. Colton

Colton Active Member

so sad... my best to all hit by this.

6. podunk press

podunk press Active Member

You can't blame the economy anymore like the publisher did.

7. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Eh, not exactly unique. Once worked for an organization (not a newspaper) where we had a definitive season. Two days after the season, about 75% of the group was let go. Explanation was simple: "Season's over. We really don't have enough to do to justify keeping all of you around through the off-season. We'll hire more people next year and you are welcome to reapply."

Maybe an apples to oranges situation, but I understood perfectly. Sounds from your post that they were planning the layoffs anyway, but just waited till after election night to do it.

8. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Of course. You wouldn't expect the publisher to admit he screwed up now, would you?

9. slotman1

slotman1 New Member

If only the buffoons in Alabama -- who dictated this over local objections -- would admit they haven't a clue about how to actually run a newspaper and realize they can't continue cutting to support ridiculously high margins. They've hollowed out what was once a decent local paper that won two Pulitzers on its own pre-CNHI into something that's looking more and more like the Cornrow, Iowa, Gazette by the day. So sad.

Draft saved Draft deleted