1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

CNHI... Is this the week we hear?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Colton, Sep 14, 2009.

1. Colton

Colton Active Member

Waiting for what's coming our way in the fourth quarter.

Whatiyathink? ??? ??? ???

I'm guessing more of the same.

2. Kato

Kato Well-Known Member

FWIW, we were told a few weeks ago that there (most likely) would be no furloughs in the fourth quarter.

3. Wenders

Wenders Well-Known Member

We were told this in June. And I haven't heard anything from the higher-ups. Then again, they don't tell us sports people anything at our place.

4. Colton

Colton Active Member

Wenders, couldn't agree more. I do believe if it's gonna hit us in the fourth quarter, they'll drop the hammer by the end of this week. Hang in there... what choice do we have, eh?

5. SouthernStyle

SouthernStyle Member

I was told by a very reliable source that the higher-ups in Birmingham have already made the decision. There will not be fourth-quarter furloughs.

Things that have been done at several CNHI shops that I'm familiar with indicate this information is true. I know of at least three CNHI newsrooms that recently got new computers and there's one that's making major technological upgrades in its pressroom.

If the recession isn't over, then it's coming to an end. Most daily newspapers in my segment of the world are starting to see a slight difference financially. And with all the cuts that were made at CNHI, this company should be in better shape than most chains heading into the fourth quarter.

6. Wenders

Wenders Well-Known Member

SS, we've gotten some upgrades as well. We just got a new server (which was on a HAVE TO basis because the hard drive died when they were taking it out to put the new on in. It was very obviously on its last legs of life.) and they're saying the designers are going to get new computers.

7. Just spoke to a press guy tonight, our paper is getting a direct to plate system, which is odd because we've had pay freezes for almost two years and two furloughs. I'm all for improved technology, but we George the I Era macs and everybody has had ostensibly a 10% or so pay cut. What better way to right everything, let's go direct to plate.

8. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Pretty sure you can cut a few composing people by doing that, can't you?

9. SouthernStyle

SouthernStyle Member

Ding.

10. Pretty sure you can cut a few composing people by doing that, can't you?

That'll be a fun battle. The press guys are union.

11. doggieseatdoggies

doggieseatdoggies New Member

I'm having a hard time swallowing this. A positive-leaning thread on CNHI?

Here's what you do to find out:
    Check the refreshments tab in the CNHI suite at Bryant-Denny Stadium over the weekend. If it's just semi-lavish, furlough extensions. If it's outrageously lavish, no furloughs.

12. Colton

Colton Active Member

Doggies: Haven't seen anything positive here at my shop yet... though I guess they haven't taken anymore money out our pockets (yet) is not a bad thing.

Crossing my fingers about the fourth quarter.

Draft saved Draft deleted