1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

CNHI having another round of furloughs

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SouthernStyle, May 11, 2009.

1. Kato

Kato Well-Known Member

There's some panic setting in at our shop over this. People who have vacations scheduled for the first weeks in July are now considering canceling them because furlough days must be taken before vacation/sick/personal days. They say they can't afford to take a full unpaid week off. Let's just say morale is not at an all-time high right now.

2. ScribePharisee

ScribePharisee New Member

This must really be a shit-for-brains company.

3. Colton

Colton Active Member

With apologies to shits everywhere, you are most certainly correct, sir.

4. sportie

sportie New Member

They are printing in Mt. Vernon, IL now...but someone told me that they are expected to cut staff in July and take another furlough...and cut pay...

5. Seriously, until you see it from the inside, you can't even begin to comprehend it.

6. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

An exponential understatement.

7. Colton

Colton Active Member

DC: Tis the view I have, unfortunately...

8. ScribePharisee

ScribePharisee New Member

It gives Alabama a bad name, eh? I read something from their CEO ...boy, talk about the light being dim....did she just figure out that ad sales drive revenue? Someone phone Gannett....what was it called, mainstreaming...yeah. Wasn't that at one time the ticket to success there?

9. Colton

Colton Active Member

Most certainly, a 40-watt bulb... at the absolute best.

10. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

And around and around it goes. Where it stops? Nobody knows. Furloughs, layoffs, paycuts, shrinking news hole. Pretty soon, one of these 40-watt bulbs will decide it's cheaper to not even publish. Sort of like the NHL owner who admitted he'd lose less money during a lockout than if his team actually played games and sold tickets.

How's that for a business model? I'll cut my loses and just stay in bed today. Strange times we live in.

11. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

I've never worked for one, but my wife did.

When I went to community college, the paper had one, very aging mac for us all to share in a room that we shared with the PR department of the college (they had their own offices, they just used half our room for storage). There were five of us working in that one room, with that old computer that I still can't believe was running.

Four years later when my wife worked for a CNHI paper, she had to use the same generation of Mac and had a desk the same size.

Draft saved Draft deleted