1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

CNHI having another round of furloughs

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SouthernStyle, May 11, 2009.

1. Colton

Colton Active Member

The powers that be here said today if this is indeed true, they have not been informed.

No news is good news, I guess.

2. podunk press

podunk press Active Member

We're better than we've ever been.

I'm sure this will somehow bite us in the ass, but I've never been more proud of an editorial team than I am now.

3. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I actually take that as a bad sign as the last round of furloughs were a big secret to everybody until a week or less before they happened.

Our shop just made a hire, so who knows if this is a divisional thing, since some "company-wide" decisions are actually "division-wide" decisions sometimes.

4. WS

WS Member

Same here, in my group. We're making money, doing well, but cutting stuff to cover for one of our large papers that's shitting the bed.

5. nmcjudo

nmcjudo New Member

Im no journalist. Im a dock supervisor at an unfourtunately owned CNHI newspaper. There will be a meeting for all scheduled production employees on the 13th. It happens to be my day off so I probably won't find out what it's about untill Thursday. We've let go about 30 employees since September of 08. We are all in the process of taking our unpaid week and everyone is scared shitless about this meeting. The loacal news station showed up on the 12th to do a story on our paper but my bosses are conveniently clueless. The company is The Record Eagle in Traverse City, MI. We are the only newspaper in MI owned by CNHI. Hopefully it's just another round of furloughs and not the bigwigs shutting the doors.

6. Wenders

Wenders Well-Known Member

We were actually told not to post it online or otherwise publicize it in our friendly e-mail. I actually would rather do furloughs than a 10 percent pay cut, personally.

The e-mail also said something to the effect that the company does not think it'll have to furlough people in the fourth quarter and the wage freeze might be off in January. Wait while I hold my breath..... ::)

7. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I can't see the suits shutting the Record-Eagle... Hell, it's the largest paper north of Bay City

8. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Relax. There's no way CNHI shuts down Traverse City. There's not another paper of size within 100 miles.

9. nmcjudo

nmcjudo New Member

The Cadillac News is 40 miles away and is half the size. They would love to see the RE shut down. I do believe it will happen at some point. Im sure the meeting is just another round of furloughs.

10. Colton

Colton Active Member

It's official — got The Word today.

Furlough frenzy is indeed in effect for the third quarter.

11. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

Same here.

As a single 20-something looser, though, I can't say it hurts THAT much. I feel for the few married couples in the office with young children.

12. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

This will go over nicely at the couple of one-man CNHI sports shops down the road in either direction from me. Hope the lifestyle editor can slam agate.

Draft saved Draft deleted