1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

CNHI Furloughs

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by kimronspringle, Sep 10, 2010.

1. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

There is always Walmart.

2. printdust

printdust New Member

But if you're salary, they don't dock your pay for a day in a week you take the furlough, they just reduce it across the board each week by a percentage, factoring the five days of lost pay as if it were hourly. If you're hourly, you can also be forced to work 80 hours a week if need be, drop vacation time, drop personal days, come in when there's no one else that can do your job even if you're on a death bed, etc., etc.

3. Colton

Colton Active Member

Print, you've just described my situation perfectly.

4. printdust

printdust New Member

And of course, they implement this a day or two before hitting you with the intimidation campaign for United Way.

Every employee ought to put "one furlough day" on their card and send it to corporate.

5. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Either that, or say, "I'd love to donate, but I can't afford to, thanks to your furloughs."

6. Is anyone else in the CNHI chain having difficulty meeting staff requirements in the fourth quarter because many people have not taken big chunks of time vacation or personal time because they have already had three weeks off this year?
    We have one guy who is taking 30 of the next 90 days off (vacation plus furlough).

7. PaperDoll

PaperDoll Well-Known Member

After imposing one-week furloughs in the fourth quarter last year, Gannett had to allow employees to carry over a week of '09 vacation into this year. I'm not sure how people are going to fit those days in, even without future furloughs. <crosses fingers>

8. Kato

Kato Well-Known Member

We're definitely going to have this problem, especially our desk. It's gonna get ugly, but we'll probably barely get by, and that will be enough to justify further furloughs. *Sigh.*

9. Heard that some higher-ups in the CNHI chain felt the wrath of the layoff beast (regional vp, couple high-level advertising types). Can anyone verify this? Does it even matter anymore?

10. Colton

Colton Active Member

kimron: Nothing about this company would surprise me. Nothing. Oh, other than getting our staff back, perhaps a full paycheck and *gasp* a raise for the first time in going on 4 years.

Draft saved Draft deleted