1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

CNHI Furloughs

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by kimronspringle, Sep 10, 2010.

1. If you haven't heard yet, five more furlough days for CNHI'ers

2. Kato

Kato Well-Known Member

Shocking.

3. It wasn't intended to be shocking news, but just a heads up to anyone whose administration thought they would wait until Monday to drop the news.
    Most people in our building were a little surprised by the news. We thought we had passed some imaginary deadline date since it was so close to the end of the quarter.

4. Colton

Colton Active Member

Kimron: Thanks for the heads up. Greedy bastards haven't told us at our shop, yet.

5. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

Sigh.

(No, we haven't been told here either)

6. seluremoh1029

seluremoh1029 New Member

Besides not getting paid 20 days out of the year, this is one of the things that annoys me most about CNHI furloughs, the way they are announced. Some people in the company seem to find out about it way early, by weeks or even months. But it's not like it's a leak. Yes, it's a big company, but still. Seems like someone from Birmingham could figure out a way to make sure everyone found out at once. It wouldn't make it any less frustrating as far as money or hours, but it would be nice to believe that management knows how to effectively send a company-wide memo. Just a thought.

7. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Holy crap, 20 days! One whole month without pay.

They have got to have the most furlough days of any U.S. company (journalism or non-journalism), right?

8. Colton

Colton Active Member

Hank: On top of that, it's 31 days in the last 18 months.

Tough part is on us salary people. I refuse to allow my guys work a second without being paid for it while they are dealing with furloughs, so it falls on me. For me, since there's a no-OT policy, it doesn't amount to a furlough -- it's a flat pay cut.

9. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

At least you get the time off with it. The company I work for handed out a flat 5 percent pay cut a couple of years ago, which when you figure a 40-hour work week (snicker) at 48 weeks a year (snicker), it's 12 days the company gets me for free.

That's a whole pay period, plus two days.

10. Colton

Colton Active Member

OTR: That was my point, as the lone salary guy on a 3-man staff, the time off isn't a reality.

11. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Colton: So you being salary, don't get five days off, just the pay cut?

CNHI probably has zoomed past JRC as the worst media company. Well, maybe.

12. Colton

Colton Active Member

Hank: It's supposed to be that way, but in reality, on a 3-guy staff, the other two being hourly, it's almost impossible for me to get the time off, since I will not allow my guys to work without being paid. It's just a shit sandwich. The fact I choose to keep eating it is my fault alone.

Draft saved Draft deleted