1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

CNHI at it again

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by BostonSouthPaw, May 13, 2010.

1. podunk press

podunk press Active Member

I feel like I type this every quarter, but the CNHI folks should know that not every chain has kept with the neverending furloughs. You guys are really getting screwed.

2. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

Teach the ad manager how to keep the right stats and cross your fingers.

3. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Like Tribune.

No furloughs. No pay cuts. Just layoffs.

4. Colton

Colton Active Member

5. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

It'a 26 now for the record.
    Q2, 2009
    Q3, 2009
    Xmas Bonus, 2008
    Q1, 2010
    Q2, 2010
    Q3 2010

6. Colton

Colton Active Member

ugh...

7. Kato

Kato Well-Known Member

Correct, (except Xmas bonus was 09), although I've heard nothing officially here about Q3 '10 yet. Can't wait for the memo, though, saying that the worst appears to be behind us but we have to continue the "days off without pay" program one more quarter.

8. printdust

printdust New Member

Hasn't the letter talked about the Great Recession hampering ya, you know, that debacle they keep telling advertisers is over so they can spend more money which you guys don't get?

9. Have any CNHI papers shrank their webwidth or news hole?
    Are they doing anything else to cut costs?
    My old paper (a CNHI) is still the same size, meanwhile, my current paper has shrank in size twice in last six years. We did have a round of layoffs last year.

10. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

No official word, but there have been rumblings in the newsroom for around a week. I'm shocked.

11. Colton

Colton Active Member

Evil: We, too, have reduced our web with twice in the last six years. As for cutting costs, we've had two rounds of layoffs in the last 19 months, no raises in two years, the 21 -- soon to be 26 -- F days, our front-end system purchased in 1999 only because of Y2K fears, is seizing and Baseview is telling us soon, they won't be able to service it any longer. We were increased, though -- in mileage compensation. We were moved up to 30 cents last year, but I believe that might have been mandated by the IRS.

But, as Spnited and Bubbler pointed out to me, we do still have jobs and I'm sure it's just as bad at most shops.

12. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

It's definitely offifcial. We heard last week.

What really upsets me is none of the higher-ups seem to have an answer as to where this ends. What financial conditions need to be met to stop this? Is it debt reduction? Meeting certain quotas or criteria nationwide? On an average? Without these details, in theory the company can just keep doing this, truly necessary, or not.

Not to mention that it's an awful long term business strategy. When you're coming up on five consective quarters with forced reduced work you need to start looking for other solutions.

Draft saved Draft deleted