1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

C'mon, Tribune. This is journalism?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by fishbulb, Jan 25, 2011.

1. fishbulb

fishbulb New Member

Clinked on the link from Deadspin. http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/football/bears/ct-spt-0125-bears-cutler-night-out--20110124,0,606725.story

The writer, Luis Arroyave, is a nightlife columnist. And this reads like a gossip column. "Our spies told us"? Come on, here.

Does this bother anyone else? Or is it just me? I dislike this whole premise. MAYBE this belongs on the blog if it names a source. It doesn't belong on the front page of the Trib's sports site.

Oh, and thank Christ I have some background info and know they dined at Mastro's last week, too. Some good reporting there.

2. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Sounds about like what I would expect to read from a "nightlife columnist."

3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

The guy is dating a girl from The Hills and he's out for dinner on a night when he is the most talked-about man in Chicago if not the entire country. Trib has a gossip column. I don't see anything too unusual about this, to be honest. It's like Tom Brady bitching that cameras were following him in New York ... as he went to a supermodel's apartment.

4. fishbulb

fishbulb New Member

Maybe it's just me. My biggest issue was it doesn't belong in the sports section of the website. I think it's out of place.

5. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Isn't that where it's going to be seen by the most people who are interested? I see what you are saying but I think that is an old-world way of thinking, like "the crime story involving the quarterback belongs in the local section because it's written by the court reporter."

6. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Plus, if your biggest issue is with the placement, then why the thread title that has nothing to do with the placement?

7. John

John Well-Known Member

"What kind of journalism is that, Dick?" -- Jim Harrick

8. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

WFW

9. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

What she said.

10. Clerk Typist

Clerk Typist Guest

Luis isn't doing his job. Kup would have told us what Cutler and his dolly had for dinner.

11. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

This makes me smile.

12. ChrisRcc

ChrisRcc Member

Draft saved Draft deleted