1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

C'mon, Greenie...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Bill Templeton, Feb 21, 2007.

1. subhead

subhead Member

Rushing the court was pathetic, but nothing's more pathetic than that show.

And I've always thought the same thing on the chant as deadline.

2. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

I LOVE that SEC rule that calls for a $25,000 fine each time the fans rush the floor. Vandy learned the hard way AGAIN last week.

What it does is force the schools to actually enforce the rules and make the security guards do something other than stand there and watch the game like everyone else.

I've been in the path of the crowd before during a court-rushing episode, sitting at the press table with a laptop, and I was tempted to just start throwing punches and elbows at anyone who came near me.

It's surprising more episodes don't happen like the one where that Nebraska football player jacked a fan in the face.

3. chester

chester Member

Actually, the initial fine is $5,000 for rushing the floor or field. It was Vandy's second offense (they rushed the court after an NIT win of all things in 2005), so that's why the fine was so big. Still, good for the SEC for instituting the fine in the first place.

4. BadgerBeer

BadgerBeer Well-Known Member

I appear to be in the minority. I don't mind Mike and Mike. I will however agree 100% on Coward. That is the worst crap I have ever heard. That guy actually does make my skin crawl.

5. shotglass

shotglass Guest

I don't agree with either. I like both as background noise if I'm up in the morning. I get pissed at Cowherd's viewpoints sometimes, but it's not like it's painful to listen to.

And I'd rather listen to either of them than Stern.

6. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

OK, I stand corrected. But it SHOULD be $25,000 EACH time it happens. EVERY school. Like I said, give the schools a real consequence for being lax in their game management/security responsibilities.

7. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Any school that won the NCAA Tournament within the past decade should never have fans rush the court.

8. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

You have to consider the fact that students who haven't been part of the crowd during a huge win or a national championship in their time at that college might feel like it's a new experience and reason to celebrate.

9. chester

chester Member

Michigan State was in the Final Four just two years ago.

10. Editude

Editude Active Member

There's a college basketball regular season?

11. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Got to determine how to set up the brackets somehow.

12. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

Fixed.

Draft saved Draft deleted