1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

C'mon AJC

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by accguy, Apr 7, 2009.

1. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Not the first time this has happened. We heard the same thing with the BCS football title game.

Some of these late starts are really hurting newspapers, especially in the eastern time zone. Given the "bottom line" mentality of some of the suits, I guessed I'm not surprised that they don't want to hold, figuring anyone who cares probably already knows the outcome.

Another question: How much good does it do to hold, say, 20 minutes, and get a short, bare-bones story on the game? No quotes, no analysis, just sort of a play-by-play and, maybe, a boxscore.

Glad I'm not working on the east coast,where they have to deal with this all the time.

2. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

According to Charles Apple's Twitter feed, the entire graphics department got laid off today.

3. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

At the AJC? No graphics department? Holy crap.

4. KG

KG Active Member

Call me crazy here, but how can they lay off the entire graphics department?

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Are they covering the Master's this week, or is that too far to travel? ;D

6. ServeItUp

ServeItUp Active Member

Parents get the metro final and they said the game made it. While I'm surprised the metro final doesn't make it out to Hartsfield, I'm not surprised the bean counters determined people coming through the airport don't give a shit what they get in their paper (and thus sent an earlier edition out there), since number-crunchers know what's best for journalism.

7. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

12-incher. That's all they have space for.

8. DougRoberson

DougRoberson Member

As the person who created our Masters plan, we actually had less than 12 inches for the gamer. It was actually 10 inches. But if you view the coverage as a whole, from gamer to every other element on the front and on the page inside, you'll find practically everything you needed to know about the first round of the Masters. That credit goes to the team in Augusta, whose communication provided excellent results.

If you have any other questions, feel free to email me at work. It beats speculatin'.

9. Clerk Typist

Clerk Typist Guest

Doug, how much coverage in the paper is there compared to previous years? Feel free to go all the way back to 1934 if you like.

10. DougRoberson

DougRoberson Member

droberson@ajc.com

11. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

I looked on the thread regarding AJC graphics people being let go and the upcoming redesign actually looks really good. But it won't do much good if there aren't enough pages to read/no graphics people/half the staff isn't around to put out the damn paper.

12. jps

jps Active Member

if you've got a big story you need to have and it isn't over by deadline - and usually you know if this will happen - get a first-half photo, at the least, and direct folks to your web site. you've got to at least acknowledge that, yes, something is happening, but we're sorry, it's happening after our deadline.

Draft saved Draft deleted