1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Clueless Management

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by schiezainc, Jan 19, 2011.

1. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

I've never had any expense account stupidity. Our issues always involve truly what it takes to put out the paper.

The biggest was when the General Manager had the IT people completely block our system, including our email accounts, from being accessed remotely. We find this out at about 11 p.m. on a fall Friday night when everyone is trying to file their stories.

On Monday morning I completely went off. The honest to goodness response I got was "Oh, you mean you guys have to send stories in from outside the building?"

2. nmsports

nmsports Member

Isn't "clueless" and "management" redundant?

3. printdust

printdust New Member

On overnight travel to work where my family lives, I didn't list lodging. I thought I was doing the company a favor. Then I get called into the office one day during auditing and they claimed to stay with family was actually a conflict of interest and an unethical perk of the journey. Seriously.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  4. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

I wouldn't say clueless. More like they don't deserve to work for money. Probably should be on disability because their presence in the workforce makes me cry.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  5. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

Newspapers truly amaze me in how few members of management know what the fuck we do in sports! I mean, my gosh. It is arguably the most valuable part of the ol' printed newspaper. And they have no fucking clue what we do. It will never change, but it is an anomaly so to speak.

6. Apparently, it is for you.

Grow up. Take personal responsibility. Understand that just like with EVERYTHING else in life, you have a range of performance. Some managers/leaders are thoughtful and understand the importance of growing and developing direct reports. (Often, these direct reports are too professionally and personally immature to accept the coaching and feedback, and it's lost on them.)

If you have a "bad" manager, don't accept it and then bitch on a website. "Manage up" in your current role. Demand more. Adjust your communication style to reach a positive point with a direct supervisor.

Or come on here and make idiotic, whiny posts.

7. "... arguably the most valuable part of the ol' printed newspaper ..."

Kind of like have the finest leather on your buggy-whip.

[/quote]

Newspapers truly amaze me in how few members of management know what the fuck we do in sports! I mean, my gosh. It is arguably the most valuable part of the ol' printed newspaper. And they have no fucking clue what we do. It will never change, but it is an anomaly so to speak.
    [/quote]

8. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

Are you serious?
    In this market? You either put up with the crap or quit. Those are your choices.
    Coaching? Feedback? Who has time for that.
    The newspapers I've observed it's work 60 to 70 hours and get paid for 40.
    I'm not whining. Nobody is holding a gun to my head, but don't tell me to believe this business is run properly.
    No way.

And you can't tell me newsside people understand what goes on in sports. That does not happen.

9. printdust

printdust New Member

[​IMG]

"And if you don't shape up, I'll replace you with a citizen journalist!"

Draft saved Draft deleted