1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Clueless Management

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by schiezainc, Jan 19, 2011.

1. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

I can't say I had none of this, but I've been pretty lucky over the years not to work for too many people/companies this bad.

2. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

It's a job and you should be lucky you have one. All you really do is just go to games for free. Shut up and start writing.

3. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

I work with schieza and I can confidently say that there is no chance in hell that anyone outside the sports department would even attempt to try and use some sort of web site that could actually help them improve their work.
    Now, to be completely fair, three years ago the same could have been said of schieza. I am 100 percent certain I ripped him and a co-worker at the time for being comic book nerds who could have cared less about journalism.
    Three years later, I couldn't be prouder.

4. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

But what about *this* site?

5. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

I'm a slow learner, but I've gained an appriciation for and I'll even say admiration of good managers.

They are few and far between.

I'm talking about those folks you work for who make it easier to do your job.

I've worked in too many shops in which, when a manager took a vacation, things went more smoothly.

Unfortunately, some of my best bosses were early in my career and I didn't realize how valuable they were.

6. The only thing mine has done is occasionally asked me to split a reimbursment form over two periods to sneak it past the publisher. Otherwise, I'm never in danger because I'm so dang cheap. It's not even my money, and I start to panic when I've spent $15 on a meal, or $50 on a hotel room.

7. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Haha, nice one.

8. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

As for the expense issue....my first paper didn't expense ANY meals. Sure, I could expense $100/night on a hotel, $200 on a rental car for three days, and a $300 plane ticket, but $5 at McDonalds? Nope.

The reasoning is too stupid for me to even remember.

9. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

A place I used to work had an expenses policy in which you had to have a "machine generated" receipt for anything more than $5. Everywhere else was $25, but we were $5. It was a pain. For all those non-meals I at, there were lots of listings for $4.99, Burger King.
    And, as somebody mentioned above, I also had an expense rejected for cold medicine when I got really sick on a road trip.

10. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

So the editor backed you on it? Nice. I like that.

11. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

Is that legal? You have to eat something while on the road working for the company.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  12. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

No idea. I mean, I ate while on the road working for the company. I just paid for it out of my pocket. The bright side was, I didn't have a wallet full of receipts when I got home from roadtrips. Ugh.

Only paper I've ever heard of -- ever -- that didn't pay for meals on the road.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
Draft saved Draft deleted