1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Club youth sports teams: Why should anybody other than parents GAF?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Starman, Jul 26, 2014.

1. MNgremlin

MNgremlin Active Member

People can get their AP sports content anywhere. Especially at a weekly paper, the content should be on the local happenings. If that includes club sports because that's the main thing going on in town, so be it. I hate picking up small-town dailies where the entire front page is AP content. That gives a reader no reason to pick up the paper.

It may not be something that every reader wants to read about, but at least the reader can hopefully appreciate that the SE is putting some effort into covering the local happenings and not only covering what he cares about and then loading the other 90% of the section with AP content.

2. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

If we hadn't known where you stand -- that print journalists hold no importance whatsover -- you possibly would have been asked that question.

Or not, because your outlook on it is tainted and looked up as such by the majority of posters here.

3. News flash: Most people don't give a crap about what happens in their town, especially sports. Why would they if you could get news, sports, and movies in HD for less than $100/month?

4. Meatie Pie

Meatie Pie Member

Needs one more edit, Mr. Pseudo Moderator.

For both accuracy and grammar.

5. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

There's an oceanic-sized chasm between "what sportswriters think is important isn't" and "sportswriters aren't important." You're a cog in the machine, but that doesn't make you the engine. Too many sportswriters, and god knows I've been guilty of this, have it in their heads that they have to be "important", that youth sports or high school sports or community sports is beneath them, that they should be doing Big Stories full of Heft and Significance that could content for BASW inclusion and plaudits from industry insiders.

Just cover what you have to cover and enjoy the ride, and if you don't, then think about switching to another ride.

6. jr/shotglass

See? I don't need to moderate crap. There are plenty of people here to call you out on your bullshit under a 17th sock puppet.

7. Meatie Pie

Meatie Pie Member

Very illuminating.

Now, if you could explain why my outlook is somehow "tainted," that would be great.

8. jr/shotglass

Your outlook isn't "somehow" tainted. It's tainted. Because you walked away/were shooed away from the profession and have since tried to justify it by denigrating the profession.

It's pretty much that simple. But seriously, if you want to debate that any more, take it to PMs. You've become accomplished at that.

9. Meatie Pie

Meatie Pie Member

All of this goes to how important "sports" are as a topic or societal issue. I lean toward thinking the overall "importance" of sports seldom differs from enjoying a good movie or rock show. It's high-end entertainment. People say witnessing their team doing well changed their lives. They also say similar about a great rock show.

Your last point is very well taken.

Please stop harassing me. It is very upsetting.

Pie made fair statements intended to be part of an honorable discussion. You attack Pie and his friends constantly, often with little reason. I respectfully ask you to back off before all those people who agree with you on stuff can escalate all this by making their voices heard.

(Oh, and feel free to copy and paste in your next post the complete content of the three PMs - one a response - I have sent you. Now, be honest and accurate)

10. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

The problem isn't that the events are beneath the sportswriter. It's that there are only so many resources, so the sportswriter has to cover what is the most important thing, unless they want to work a 90-hour week.

To cover an event in which there is little interest outside of the participant's family and friends, there needs to be either some sort of angle, or something special about it in order to be covered. And by special, I mean something that your readers other than those who are related to the participants will want to care about.

11. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

If you work at a small newspaper covering sports, your job is to sell coverage of kids playing sports to their parents. No, I'm not going to call that "important." It's a living, sure, and nothing wrong with that.

12. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Yep.

Draft saved Draft deleted