1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Club youth sports teams: Why should anybody other than parents GAF?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Starman, Jul 26, 2014.

1. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

There's a difference between youth baseball -- which is usually Little League -- and the club sports Starman is talking about.

People can get behind Little League even if there's no connection, if it's the local league. These pre-formed travel teams that go play in a "state championship" where there's no qualification other than signing up, those are the teams he's talking about. And that's where nobody cares.

2. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I used to have fun explaining to people that very few people cared about their little events.

"But everyone is going to be there!"

Me:"who's everyone?"

"We have 100 people or so."

Me: "Our circulation is 5,000. That means 4,900 don't care."

3. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

I bet if you applied that standard consistently, you'd have a pretty empty sports section.

4. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

I hope you're joking for effect.

5. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

"Our circulation is 5,000, but the population of our coverage area is 20,000. That means 19,900 don't care."

6. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

So somebody has to attend an event to care about the result? That's interesting.

Does anybody in this profession step back anymore and consider the fact that they're jaded after years of having this stuff pushed on them?

7. RickStain

A large part of their vision of the profession is based on the idea that what small-town sportswriters do is somehow "important." Like 101 of those 5000 just can't wait to read about how some swimmer overcame a broken leg.

8. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

For something that small, yes. If you want something covered, give me a hook besides that they work hard so I can write something to make the other 4,900 care.

9. RickStain

While you were on the phone, 25 of your 5000 died of old age and 50 more let the subscription lapse because they could get all the news they care about online.

10. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Are you telling all these sportswriters at 5,000 dailies that what they do holds no importance?

11. Meatie Pie

Meatie Pie Member

Why limit such a statement to only the smaller dailies?

12. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Our shop's policy ... if people submit club team pics/results, we run them as space allows. There are two full pages budgeted for "youth sports" stuff every Wednesday, and for much of the year, that holds most of it.

And yeah, Little League and our local American Legion teams are covered a bit more than that during their postseason tourney runs. There's a bit more general interest in those teams.

Club youth sports? No general interest.

Draft saved Draft deleted