1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Club youth sports teams: Why should anybody other than parents GAF?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Starman, Jul 26, 2014.

1. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Skimming back through this threads, including the threadjacks mainly powered by me about my nieces, and I think it hit me what the problem is with club sports:

We're talkin' 'bout practice, man.

It's all the equivalent of farm-team minor-league baseball. Nobody really gives a shit whether the teams win or lose (other than some momentary gratification if you win and the feeling of improving your recruitability) as long as some scouts or coaches from "the next level" see you play.

Parents and families of club-team players are happy if the club team wins because it means their kid's chances of getting recruited up the ladder are (theoretically) better, but nobody really gives a shit about the team itself. Just like minor-league baseball.

If the team loses three in a row, you don't get grumpy gatherings of 60-year-old men down at Granny's Coffee Pot the next morning rumbling about a new coach, you just get two or three sets of parents deciding to jump their kids onto some other club team.

2. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Pre-season football trumps the President:

Matt Spence -- ‏@mattspencedc

NBC in Washington is sticking with the Redskins-Patriots preseason game, opting out of special @NBCNews coverage of Obama’s statement

3. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Scalped Indians > Smoked ISISians

Well, for a few hours, anyway.

Draft saved Draft deleted