1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cloverfield

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Killick, Nov 15, 2007.

1. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Not to pour water on BYH's hatred for all things JJ Abrams, but he has about as much to do with LOST as I do with the SportsJournalists.com novel (I wrote one chapter and it was the shortest of the bunch.) Carlton Cuse and Damon Lindelof are the guys who made up the scary smoke monster on LOST, and have been pretty much running the show since about Episode 3. Abrams came back to direct an episode for the start of season 3, but that's about it.

2. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

Don't worry about BYH. He just has sand in his vagina.

3. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

I'm still excited to see the movie because of the way that first trailer was presented. I agree with the idea that if Abrams put half the effort he put into marketing in his ideas, we'd all be the better for it.

But it's not very often that a good monster movie comes out - and this could be it. Of course, it could be like Lake Placid, which was just downright hilarious.

4. Mahoney

Mahoney Member

I'm so excited to see someone destroy New York in a movie. What a creative idea!

5. Kaylee

Kaylee Member

The concern I would have is that the hype might overstrip the effect.

What I mean is, it's one thing to have a monster movie. You go in, enjoy it for what it is and leave.

But in this case, you have ingenious marketing ploys, a closely-guarded plot and titillating previews that don't really show or explain anything. It sets up expectations in the mind of the viewer that the final product can't hope to meet.

Were this marketed like any other movie, I think the average moviegoer would sit there thinking "That was fun, watching a monster stomp the shit out of New York."

But given how this has been built up, I'm expecting a whole lot of people to be let down when, had this movie just been marketed normally, it would probably be well-received.

I guess if you can get the butts in the seats, the response doesn't matter as much.

6. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

Like "The Village"?

7. thegrifter

thegrifter Member

The main concern should be director Matt Reeves.
    This is the guy who wrote the screenplay for Under Siege 2.
    He directed and wrote The Pallbearer.
    Oh, and you can't forget his greatest hit, what he's most known for, being a co-creator of fucking "Felicity."
    Give me a fuckin break!
    It's hard to believe in the hype when you have Mr. Felicity at the friggin helm.

8. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I'm going to see it because we've going to a free screening. I don't expect much from it.
    I'm not sure the marketing worked the way they expected, but we'll see what kind of box office it does. 'Snakes on a Plane' generated huge Internet buzz for more than a year and still tanked.
    And hype outstripping reality is never a concern in marketing. It's just not part of the equation.

9. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

NY Post on the seven bad signs for this movie ...

http://www.nypost.com/seven/01132008/entertainment/movies/seven_deadly_signs_819209.htm?page=0

10. BYH

BYH Active Member

you and your fucking facts.

Are you going to allow me to despise M. Night Shamalamadingdong? Or are you going to tell me that he didn't really write Signs and Unbreakable? :D

11. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

I know I'll be happy when the commercials go away.
    Seeing the head of the statue of liberty come tumbling down once was cool. The one millionth time it took a turn for the comical and then after more, repeated viewings it skittered down into the land of just please go away.

find815.com
    Or if ya'll are so inclined to waste some time on yet another Lost Web site

12. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

I'VE SEEN THE MONSTER!
    I'VE SEEN THE MONSTER!!
    I'VE SEEN THE MONSTER!!!

It's ...

[​IMG]

:D

If this were Fark, this would be crying for an "obvious" tag about now.

Draft saved Draft deleted