1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Clothing sizes

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Shoeless Joe, Oct 16, 2012.

1. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

You should get this screen printed:

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  2. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Don't knock Penny's. That new JCP line designed by Nick Wooster is pretty sharp.

http://www.valetmag.com/personal-shopper/shop-talk/2012/nick-wooster-jcp-brand-at-jc-penney-092012.php

3. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

I love everyday low prices and convenience. J.C. Penney is the only place I shop for clothes.

4. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Wal-Mart

5. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

I'm not a Wal-Mart guy. Every time I go, I get lost amid a sea of dented boxes and people who are dead on the inside and stale cigarettes on the outside.

6. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

You don't like mingling with other 'Bama fans?

7. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

I have a handful of shirts in my wardrobe that claim they're a medium when really they're a large. It's awful. Because a medium is just about the perfect T-shirt for me. A large is like a shapeless tent.

8. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

I don't like mingling with anyone.

9. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

Great thread.

I posted a while back about not getting an estimate on a tailor over the phone. I did find one... and it has turned out to be the best clothing money I've ever spent. $300 to bring seven suits in for tailoring. I lost a size the past year.

Yet now I have a closet full of "classic fit" dress shirts that look puffy and horrible now. As I transition to slim fit/fitted, I truly believe this: if I have a dress shirt that fits perfect and socks that feel snug, I feel very confident.

There are some items in life that are worth a little more. A handful of quality dress shirts qualifies. Once you find that perfect fit, the other shirts never leave the closet.

10. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

The last pants I bought were Dockers. I went to JC Penney and tried a few pair on (which I have learned to do because as part of my recent frustration I have to come to realize a 33 inch waist by one company is not the same 33 inches by another). I think they were $37 in the store. Just so happened I did a quick scan on my phone and found the exact same pants on Kohls web site for $28. I went home an ordered them, not feeling one bit bad about it. I wouldn't have ordered online if there was a buck or two difference, but between the overall price difference, tax/no and free shipping, it was a considerable savings.

As for Walmart, I went through a phase wearing $15 Walmart brand (can't think of the name) pants because I really didn't know any better. I broke down and bought a nicer pair once and learned there is a considerable difference there in terms of getting what you pay for.

11. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

On the "get what you pay for", I definitely feel that on dress shirts. I have a handful of shirts from Paul Fredrick, English Laundry, Forsyth of Canada. $65 shirts.

I've found the difference is after about 10 washings. These shirts feel and look new. The Arrow/Croft & Barrow shirts fall apart after a few washings. Only these Joseph Abboud shirts I bought from JCP three years ago still hold well. Best $20 shirts I've ever bought.

I feel one can go inexpensive on ties, dress pants (provided they fit) and even shoes. But for the "above the waist" garments, you should get what you pay for.

12. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

I'd kill for a proper fitting dress shirt. I have a 17 1/2 inch neck (a side effect of its having to support my size 8 head) but now wear a medium T-shirt. The wrists that shirt-makers put on a 17 1/2 inch neck shirt would fit around my biceps. Maybe a year ago, I finally broke down and got a custom dress shirt, but I was fat then and now it doesn't fit properly either. I'm doomed to look like a tall ship, at full frigging sail.

Help?

Draft saved Draft deleted