1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Clothing sizes

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Shoeless Joe, Oct 16, 2012.

1. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I've found golf shirt sizes are mostly as advertised, but size inflation has hit the T-shirt market hard. For me, getting an XL T-shirt is a crapshoot because of shrinkage. Even long-sleeved 2X shirts are iffy. And I'm only 30 pounds over my high school weight.

2. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

This shirt is slim-fitted.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  3. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

Trust us. Nowadays, neither do we.

4. Bradley Guire

Bradley Guire Well-Known Member

Thank God my wardrobe is made up of St. John's Bay polos, Alabama sweatshirts, wrestling T-shirts, basketball shorts and Levi's 550 jeans. Ah, the perks of unemployment.

5. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

This is why I buy nothing without trying it on. I don't want to bother bringing things back or exchanging them, and, oftentimes, even just who has sewn something -- not just the brand or cut -- makes a difference in the fit and look of an item.

My pet peeve, though, is not big shirts, but big pants. Even though that's an actual style now, I can't stand the too-large/too-long cuts. To me, it goes without saying that if you have to be hitching up your pants with every other step, they're too big. And if the bottoms of your pantlegs are dragging on the ground and being torn to tatters because of that and the fact that you can't/won't hem them, you've bought them too long. And, they look awful.

This is the first time I've seen much of a problem voiced with things being too big for people who aren't overweight, though. Usually, the problem is the reverse, and if some company would learn to design, make and manufacture correctly the big/plus sizes, I've always thought they could make a fortune.

Just because a person might be bigger, taller and/or more overweight than average doesn't necessarily mean they wouldn't like to still look as good as they can.

6. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Are you sure about this? Has anyone done research that backs this up?

7. WriteThinking

I haven't done research to back this up. But, yes, I'm sure about that.

What would make you think otherwise?

8. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Absolutely nothing. I was joking.

9. WriteThinking

Ah...I missed it. Sorry about that.

10. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

No need to apologize.
    Everyone wants to look good, but it is more difficult to find clothes that fit well if you have a body type or shape that is less common.
    The less common, the more difficult it is to find clothes that fit well.

I'm not big, tall, short, small, skinny or fat. I fall right in the middle of the bell curve with regard to all of those measurements.

However, I have short arms and legs. I'm all torso.
    I look more like a salamander than a man.

11. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

I went to J.C. Penney (yes, I'm cheap) to buy new pants for work. I didn't want anything fancy, pleated or thin. My first issue: Finding pants with my pair of measurements. I could find dozens of the right waists with inseams too short, and I could find the right inseam with either waists too big or too small. Finally, I find something, and it's made by the same company that made the pair of pants I was replacing. Great, I think.

But they were so tight, I had to go up two sizes. This is the same company, same pants style, same color, same store, two years later. And I had to go up four inches on the waist (though 3 probably would have been better). The reason wasn't that the waist was too big, though. It was the more typical problem. It seems as though no one leaves room in crotches anymore, as if I'm supposed to wear my work pants like low-riders.

12. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

I have/had one of these. Cut the sleeves off and wore it to a ballgame. I haven't seen it since I got home that night.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
Draft saved Draft deleted