1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Clothing sizes

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Shoeless Joe, Oct 16, 2012.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I know. I feel like I just gave Greg Maddux pitching advice.

2. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

My initial rant was more about golf shirts. When dress shirts started becoming available in the tailored/trim cut, that was a godsend. The traditional fit is not for average size people with an athletic build. I usually go a 42-inch chest and a 33 waist, so full cut shirts are a pain to deal with and look like crap the first time you sit down and back up.

With the golf shirts, as I said earlier, it seems like the manufacturers have decided to add a couple of inches to their size chart, and it's not real consistent between brands. If you go somewhere to try something on, that's not a big deal. But when you are given a gift and the person says "You've always worn a large" it's really aggravating to be thinking "I really like that but will never be able to wear it and can't exchange it."

3. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

I've found that in polo-style shirts they tend to get smaller when they redo the style. I loved Nautica shirts and the way they fit me for years, and then they changed the cut and they were too small for me. Then I started wearing Land's End shirts, which fit me absolutely perfectly for many years. They did the same thing, and now the polos are too short for my liking. I hate when companies change things up like that.

4. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Like the sack jacket and the button-down shirt, are people going to start making incorrect assumptions about a full-cut shirt without knowing what the heck one is?

5. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Full cut
    [​IMG]

Full cut
    [​IMG]

Douche bag
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  6. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

It certainly helps if you know your size-I'm a 16 1/2" neck with a 3rd sleeve and while Mercer makes a fine shirt, I need a trimmer fit because I don't like the feeling of wearing a parachute.

If you're looking at polo shirts, I would suggest spending a bit more at like Norstrom to get better quality.

7. Dick Whitman

Full cut
    [​IMG]

Tailored fit
    [​IMG]

8. Dick Whitman

Promotional thank you to Sammy Sosa and Taylor Lautner for posing for SportsJournalists.com.

9. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

When I was a kid, I had an obsession with making sure the seam on my sock was on the top. Otherwise, I was miserable. That obsession has transferred to not tucking my shirt in as an adult. I HATE it; makes me feel uncomfortable all day, and I can never get the sides and back to look right. As for clothes fitting, on the rare occasion I find a shirt that fits me, I will literally wear it until it falls apart.

10. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

[​IMG]

11. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

Hey, that's the way I feel putting on the same size clothes I've worn for years! :D

12. PaperDoll

PaperDoll Well-Known Member

Women's clothing is even worse.

Some brands size down, others size up, and there's really no way to know except by taking multiple sizes of everything into the fitting room. Some, like Chico's (which caters to baby-boomers), have almost eliminated sizes. They use 1, 2, 3, and 4 in place of the traditional letters.

Do fashion executives think we're stupid? Or just that vain?

Draft saved Draft deleted