1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Clothes thread?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by wicked, May 16, 2016.

1. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

I guess it can come across that way. You can't please everyone, but I can at least please myself by not having a useless piece of fabric tied around my throat. I wore a tie in grammar school and high school. I'm frankly sick of them.

2. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Not only do they provide warmth, but suits and sport coats provide additional pockets. It's like wearing a backpack.

3. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

One thing my son has taught me is that a sports jacket is a real boon when flying. Extra pockets for all the documents (especially international flights). This is cultural bull and I'm sure some terrorist in a a $4000 suit will take advantage of it someday, but you are also treated better by everyone from check-in through security to the flight attendants.

4. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

As for providing warmth, suits have little advantage over any other clothing and are less effective than a lot of other clothing.

You know what else is like a backpack?
    A backpack.

If your argument against ties is they are decorative rather than practical, suits are pretty close behind on the impractical scale.

5. cranberry

Suit jackets need not have an advantage over other jackets of similar weight to have utility. Ties are, as you note, are merely decorative.

As for backpacks, I like to be as unencumbered as possible. Backpacks and briefcases fall into a category of things I'd prefer to avoid carrying.

6. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

One of the best parts of retirement is not having the damn computer bag as part of my everyday attire.

7. cranberry

I've pared myself down to cell phone, car and house keys, drivers license, building and train passes, credit card and reading glasses for my daily commute.

8. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

But be careful with them.

Flying home from San Antonio the other day, zipping through TSA Pre-check line, when suddenly the x-ray technician grinds everything to a halt. First, she has a colleague come over and look at the screen. Then they pull the little bowl through and grab my wallet, and summons me to the side. They then open said wallet, nose around in it for a while, and dig out from the depths an inch-and-a-half long, pointy-edged brass object. They demand to know what it is, and of course I tell them it's a stray collar stay, left over from a trip to the dry cleaner's.

Fortunately, it had a Nordstrom's logo on it, so the TSA warriors were willing to let me go, safe in the knowledge no flight attendants would be harmed by my sartorial sword.

9. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

When going through airports, I try not to wear anything military related. If a terrorism situation breaks out, you could get killed first without having much time to react.

I was at the airport the other day, and someone came up to me and asked if I was a Blackhawk pilot. I quickly said no, and immediately thought of tbf. He pointed at something I was wearing, and I was thinking, shit, violated my own protocol.

Anyway, nice guy. Swapped stories. He was a Cobra pilot back in the early 1970s. Attack helo with the rocket pods on the sides. Probably was in Nam but I didn't ask him anything specific about combat. I am uncomfortable talking to anyone about Nam - had two uncles fucked up by it.

Have a great Memorial Day everyone!

VB

Draft saved Draft deleted