1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Clothes thread?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by wicked, May 16, 2016.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I do have some Under Armour and Adidas golf shirts that are branded. I think most golf polls are.

As far as undershirts go, I'm in the "nay" crowd, if the shirt doesn't have buttons all the way down. I use the clinical strength deodorant, so it's not an issue. I get way too hot with an undershirt. Plus, my shirts all are pretty cut to size, and I'd look like the Stay-Puft man with layers.

V-necks only with buttons.

2. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

If I'm wearing a tie and jacket, I'll go with a crewneck t-shirt because the dress shirt will be buttoned to the top.

3. Dick Whitman

Right. That's the exception. Sometimes with plain white shirts, too, if you can see the V through the shirt. Having T-shirt showing is the lesser of two evils in that instance. At least it's the same color.

4. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

FYI, people, IMHO spread collars make you look like a Euro-wannabe. Stick with a classic pinpoint when wearing a suit.

With that said, button-down collars are acceptable for blazers and when you wear a less dressy suit -- daytime, work, etc. -- but they just don't cut it for weddings and formal occasions.

5. Earthman

Earthman Well-Known Member

If you do wear a spread learn how to tie a proper knot. Skinny ties don't look right with
    a spread collar

Dick Whitman likes this.
  6. Dick Whitman

I'd recommend going full Merrill Hoge. Go hard or go home.

7. Earthman

If knot is size of a quarter it's too small. If it's the size of a Dorito its too big.

exmediahack likes this.
  8. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

I recommend a medium spread collar. Works well for most folks, I think. Doesn't look like Eurowannabe, but looks stylish on the other hand.

9. Earthman

Good call . And be sure to get good collar stays. You don't want them flapping.

exmediahack likes this.
  10. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

IMHO, button down collars only for casual (seersucker suit or casual slacks and blazer). Never thought they looked good with a suit, the ballooning collar just looks off to me and the knot is never fully integrated with the collar.

As for the spread collar, pretty easy if you just make sure you tie either a half-windsor with a full substantial tie or go full windsor, just make sure the knot is under the collar, no spaces between knot and collar.

11. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

Whenever I see a very sharply dressed man, my first thought is, "That guy is gonna screw me over. Somehow, some way, he's gonna try and stick it to me."

12. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Whenever I see a sharply dressed man, I think, "That looks like way too much work and I'm glad I don't give a shit about that stuff anymore."

Draft saved Draft deleted