1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Clothes thread?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by wicked, May 16, 2016.

1. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Jerry Sandusky, too?

C'mon, now. It was in all the papers.

2. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Goddamnit. Ok. I was lazy. I should have double checked before posting. I recently saw someone type the last name with an "e" and it stuck in my mind. And one of my many supervisors is named Gerry and his management style reminds me of an ass raper, so I got confused.

3. Bradley Guire

Bradley Guire Well-Known Member

I'm in between regular and big & tall, so shopping was a bitch until I gave up on shopping anywhere other than JC Penney. I get St. John's Bay for shirts and khakis, Levis for jeans. I expanded recently to a new brand called Foundry. Cotton spring and fall, that thin stuff for summer in the high desert.

In the winter, I get these long-sleeve thick cotton sweater shirts. They're like wearing a long-sleeve T-shirt but look nice enough for biz-cas in the office.

I wasn't snooty with underclothes until I discovered Hanes ComfortBlend boxer briefs, undershirts and socks. I can't go V-neck, too much chest hair pops out otherwise. I'm too lazy to shave my chest.

Nike Air Monarch sneakers because I need 4E wide and don't care if they're sneakers for gramps. I buy a new pair every year for $50.

I might need to wear a tie once a year.

And a lot of pro wrestling or comic book T-shirts. Because I know who I am. After all these years, there's a victory in that.

Rhody31 likes this.
  4. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

Burlington Coat Factory. Cheap stuff for dumpy, fat guys. And others, naturally.

I have never in my adult life gone out in public without an undershirt, even when wearing a polo.

5. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

I don't get the undershirt hate these days. Sure, it'd be nice if I could go out, especially in the summer, without an undershirt, but that ain't happening. Between November and March, sure. Any other time? Hard pass. Undershirts serve a purpose, at least for me.

Speaking of, do people go with the Ray Barone/Doug Heffernan unbottoned shirt with undershirt/tshirt exposed look anymore?

6. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Me neither. Always.

7. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

This brings up something I have been wondering about lately. Chest hair - okay to display it, or should I cover it up or shave it off? I've been an open polo guy for years without thinking about it.

8. Flip Wilson

Flip Wilson Well-Known Member

Even those rare times I wear a T-shirt in public, I always wear an undershirt with it. I'm with you on this one.

9. Flip Wilson

Flip Wilson Well-Known Member

I did the other day, but only because I had the day off and, partially inspired by this thread, I was going to several thrift stores to shop for shirts. In most of those places, I have no problem slipping off my buttondown and trying on a shirt in the aisle. I wore a Superman T-shirt, not a regular undershirt, however.

Vombatus likes this.
  10. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

I often wear a wife beater under polos, with the wife beater tucked in. Covers up the gut, doesn't bog me down with another thick layer.

11. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

I'll do this occasionally in the winter with a colored t-shirt or long-sleeved colored t-shirt.

But I never expose a white T-shirt, even with just one button undone. So, as I rarely where a tie, about 3/4 of my white t-shirts are v-neck so they don't show. I just don't like the look.

I typically only wear t-shirts with non-cotton polo shirts (I prefer the feel of cotton against my skin), but I'll wear a t-shirt with any fabric polo on really hot days when I'm likely going to sweat a lot.

Last edited: May 21, 2016
  12. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Worst thing I ever did in my early 20s was shave my chest simply because I was out in the sun, on a boat, etc. a lot. It never grew back right, and I'm basically beholden to shaving it once a week otherwise it gets unbearably itchy. I've tried going two weeks or more without shaving, trying to grow it back in, but the itchiness is just brutal. Don't do it.

Draft saved Draft deleted