1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Clothes thread?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by wicked, May 16, 2016.

1. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

I have never tried Charles Tyrwhitt but heard that it is good. In dress shirts I go exclusively Thomas Pink. Over the top expensive, but I get them from the outlet mall and they call me when they are having a sale.

I have to wear a suit most days and tend to wait for bargains before getting new ones. The Saks Off Fifth store has great deals and there is a good tailor in my town. I tend to get work blazers and pants there or at Ted Baker. Ties and cuff links are more catch as catch can.

Dress and casual shoes I go Geox, which are nice and super comfortable.

2. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Not long before I left The Times, a little person joined the staff. Good, funny guy. Creosote knows him. We ended up becoming pretty good friends. One day, after I'd gone on a Facebook rant about having to pay out the ass to alter a suit, he sticks his head in my office and says, "You can just shut the fuck up." He asked me to look around next time I was in a nice clothing store and see how many shirts I could find with a 16 inch neck and 20 inch sleeve length. Everything he buys has to be altered.

We came up with a get-rich-quick scheme of an online clothing store for little people, though surely there is one somewhere. We were going to call it clothealittle.com - a riff on a story he told me about meeting his wife on datealittle.com. Greatest dating site idea ever, though I'm still bummed there's no dateanoldfatbaldjew.com

He obviously found stuff somewhere because he dressed pretty well.

3. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

Three words: Duluth Trading Company. Their stuff is pricy, but it's comfortable and lasts forever. And their TV ads are an absolute hoot.

4. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

I knew a couple guys who could buy kids' sizes. There's a lot of printed garbage, but they'd buy pants and dress casual button downs for half the price.

5. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Sleeper is Lands End; excellent quality for the price; cotton button downs and dress shirts with neck and sleeve sizing;

For polos, I prefer Lacoste (tight fit, nice feel) so I go to flea bay and get great deals.

On shoes; since I go suit and tie nearly every day, I've learned never to cheap on shoes; buy good shoes that are well made (Alden, BB (made in USA)) not based on style.

6. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

One piece of advice is to sign up at your favorite clothing retailer's website so you get notified when their stuff is in on sale (shut up, @Dick Whitman! :D ). I mostly wear J. Crew or Banana Republic for my everyday clothes (and some jackets/suiting) and I often take advantage of their sales of an extra 50 percent off clearance items. So items that were already discounted on clearance get their price cut in half. You end up paying like a third of the price.

I got a $450 blazer from Banana last year for like $90.

Dick Whitman likes this.
  7. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

I can usually buy 14 1/2-inch collar shirts that fit reasonably well. But finding 29-waist/30-inseam pants is a chore.

X-Hack likes this.
  8. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I used to like you. Not so sure anymore. I wore 29 waist once, about 49 years ago.

9. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

Shut up. You have Kids R Us and shit.

10. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

That photo made me think of Michael Jackson and Gerry Sanduskey. And priests.

EDIT: Fuck Jerry Sandusky. Thanks Rip!

Last edited: May 19, 2016
  11. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

I can't stand clothes with obvious branding/logos. Unless a company want to sponsor me, I don't want it's branding on my shirt or hat or jacket or sneakers.

Dick Whitman and wicked like this.
  12. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

I've always had good luck with Men's Warehouse. I buy all my suits there. But I'll go to Kohl's or the like for dress shirts. I still buy jeans and khakis at Old Navy for some reason. I'm not 100% happy about it, but they fit my fat ass just right and I rarely pay more than $25.

Vombatus likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted