1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Clothes thread?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by wicked, May 16, 2016.

1. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Maybe we can get one going? In memory of Frank Ridgeway, of course.

I'm trying to step up my game. Generally speaking, I go with cheapish polos and khakis. I'd like to get some better polos -- specifically cotton and higher quality and ones that will remain relatively sweat-free. I have a Dockers Golf polo that's many years old, but the color never faded and it remains super comfortable.

Any brands that are similar to the Dockers Golf, but won't cost me an arm and a leg? Is it reasonable to want to spend no more than $50 on a nice shirt, or do I need to start spending a little more?

cranberry likes this.
  2. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

I go to thrift shops and see what wives have dumped of their ex-husbands and deceased spouses. It takes work to find good stuff, but thrift shopping adds a bit more suspense and treasure hunting thrill. Finding great stuff is like an adrenaline rush.

Just wash stuff thoroughly before wearing anything.

JackReacher likes this.
  3. Key

Key Well-Known Member

I'm only now figuring out that shirt size matters. Holy shit, I've been looking like an idiot all these years. Figure our your sleeve length and collar size. And try to find shirts that are tapered in some way. It eliminates all the bagginess in the back.

4. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

Spend more if you can afford it. Everyone thinks the label drives the price, but the quality of the clothes means they'll last longer.
    When you do laundry, be smart about it. Don't dry anything you want to last/remain looking nice. The dryer is gonna shrink clothes and after a while, fade and destroy stuff. Hang dry and iron like an adult is supposed to.
    Don't wear cotton polos if you want to be sweat free. Every brand makes a polo out of the dry fit material and they're incredibly breathable and stay looking nice. Plus, the collar doesn't curve. I've got a couple Ralph Lauren ones that I got at an outlet for like $30. Buying out of season helps the wallet.
    Don't let the price tag make the decision. If you see something you like and you like the way it looks when you try it on - ALWAYS TRY IT ON - buy it. I just dropped $80 on a dress shirt because it made me feel less fat and $120 on a quarter-zip sweatshirt because it added to the look. It made me feel good. Gave me confidence.
    And that's what clothes are for. Look good, feel good. If you gotta spend a couple extra bucks, do it.

EDIT: Fat guys - don't be embarrassed to go to Big & Tall stores. I go to Gentleman's XL and it's nice to know I'll find clothes that fit. Ralph Lauren has a terrific big and tall selection on their website. There's a huge difference between a 44 waist, a 44big waist and a 44 tall. Goal No. 1 for me is lose weight so I can shop retail again, but it's nice to know I can get some stuff to hold me over until I drop the winter weight.

5. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

I began buying shirts from an H. Stockton store in Atlanta some years back. I usually buy one or two a year. Best clothing decision I've ever made.

6. Vombatus

I recently learned of something called a "Richmond" shirt but have no idea what it is. Any clues?

I also like Helly Hansen (marine/ nautical wear) and Carhartt (durable work clothes) depending on whether I am in Annapolis or more rustic areas - like Texas. Got to dress for the local cougars.

BTW, I wonder if freqposter can chime in with clothing advice?

Last edited: May 16, 2016
  7. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

Also, if you must wear an undershirt, v-neck so no one knows. I joined team no undershirt and it's glorious.

8. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Looks like Richmond is a brand for douchebags.

Vombatus likes this.
  9. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

People still wear cotton polos?

10. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

Garanimals are good, so you know what matches.

[​IMG]

11. Vombatus

I just looked this up and I think the brand is Ledbury, made in Richmond, and they ain't cheap. Holy cow - two for $125.

12. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Hit the gym hard. You'll look good in almost anything.

exmediahack likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted