1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Closing J schools.

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Drip, Jul 15, 2009.

1. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

I told my J-school this about five years ago, when they sent a letter hitting me for contributions.

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Who here would trade their journalism degree for a business degree right now? I sure as hell would.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I used to teach a bit at a local J-school, but a couple years ago I told them I couldn't in good conscience do anything that would encourage kids from going into a field that will be extinct in a matter of years.

4. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

5. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

J-schools will stay open as long as there are people willing to pony up the tuition. But I imagine j schools aren't getting a lot of help from the industry these days. I could see a day when the curriculum is rolled into a "government" or "Public policy" school.

6. rpmmutant

rpmmutant Member

I have an English degree. Without it, I couldn't be a substitute teacher. I could have majored in anything and as long as I have a BA, I could be a sub. It is valuable and it has given me options now that my journalism career has become at best a freelance pursuit. I could become a lawyer, a copywriter, a teacher. I have decided to pursue a teaching credential and hope the freelance assignments don't run out before I complete the credential program.

7. rpmmutant

rpmmutant Member

A friend of mine once told me the one thing a college degree tells potential employers is that you can set a goal and achieve it. I still believe it doesn't matter what you major in as long as you can complete your degree. That said, I never found a journalism degree to be that valuable. I had a newspaper job long before I had a bachelors degree. And the best journalists I know majored in something other than journalism or communications. The best ones majored in political science. Oddly enough, English majors were in the minority at the papers I worked at.

8. Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle Member

What would you possibly do with a sociology degree? Teach, maybe.

9. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

Get this. I have a journalism and sociology degree.
    I'm fucked.

10. Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle Member

This would be a fun poll. Which degree---journalism or sociology---is more worthless? Seriously, I can at least think of a few journalism-related careers outside of newspapers. But sociology? Well, you can teach (and research), and you can ... umm, what else can you do?

11. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

It was, like, four more classes. And, it was a long time ago.

12. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I would add philosophy to that poll.

Draft saved Draft deleted