1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Closing J schools.

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Drip, Jul 15, 2009.

1. Drip

Drip Active Member

This guy thinks closing the door on J schools is the answer. What do you think?
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/richard-sine/close-the-j-schools_b_232174.html

2. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Absolutely, yes. It's completely irresponsible to be pumping out thousands of graduates per year when there are dozens of jobs to choose from.

3. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

Give me a break. You think they'd ever close down automotive schools with the state of that industry?

Survival of the fittest.

4. RickStain

Do automotive schools teach you to make cars? I did not know that.

5. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

My brother went to a trade school owned and operated by General Motors with the intent of sending him into the business of building cars - which he has now done for 20-plus years.

Sadly, that will end this fall, but that's another story for another time and place.

6. DisembodiedOwlHead

DisembodiedOwlHead Active Member

Brilliant. English departments also should turn away prospective majors and graduate students since there are very few jobs practicing professional English these days. Same with history. Really off-target and shallow column.

7. RickStain

English and history are not meaningfully comparable to journalism.

8. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

What? Fredrick hasn't checked in on this thread yet?

9. RickStain

I don't think the bachelor's in English is too valuable, but you can always teach Comp 101 at community college with a master's in English.

10. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Business schools provide little value as well, but the writer of the original column thought they were pretty great.

11. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

There are tons of worthless majors out there... Unfortunately, journalism is every bit as worthless as communications or philosophy. I used to make fun of all the athletes majoring in sociology, but I would kill to be able to switch my degree and Masters to Soc rather than journalism.

12. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

They should let much fewer people in. Schools should also work on degrees where you train for a few different careers. You can longer have a degree that is only good for one thing. I feel like I am qualified to teach english or be in advertising or PR, but since I don't have a degree in those fields, employers won't give me a chance.

Draft saved Draft deleted