1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Close to getting a laptop, what else do I need

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by mpcincal, Jun 6, 2010.

1. bydesign77

bydesign77 Active Member

This explains so much

2. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Knocks 20 degrees F off my laptop's processor core temperature ... and heat is the enemy of silicon processors. When my laptop is on my desk I always use it but not when I'm out and about. It's noisy, though ... more so than a desktop PC's cooling fans.

Not so much. On most laptops, the air intake grilles are on the bottom of the chassis, so if your laptop's flat on that hard surface your air intakes are covered. If it can't breathe, it runs hotter. When I'm out and about with my laptop, I try to make sure its corners under the screen are raised up slightly to let outside air into the bottom (the black plastic caps from Powerade bottles make great "laptop feet").

Depends on how you use it. I have my desk set up with a kludged-together docking station so my laptop's screen is on at eye level (using this monitor stand to hold the laptop); obviously, that puts both the keyboard and the touchpad out of reach, so I have a Bluetooth keyboard¹ and mouse² for "docked" use. The mouse comes with me, though. It's just easier than the touchpad and is nicer ergonomically.

Completely random laptop and web browser note: I don't have any empirical testing data to back this up, but Google's Chrome web browser makes my laptop run a lot hotter than Firefox does and hits its hardware (disk, memory, processors) much more. There's a software architecture reason for that which I won't bore y'all with, but the result is that Google Chrome will (I suspect) guzzle laptop battery power faster than Firefox. Your mileage may very with the usual variable conditions.

Draft saved Draft deleted