1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Close to getting a laptop, what else do I need

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by mpcincal, Jun 6, 2010.

1. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

I'm close to getting one for the first time. I've pretty much know the parameters of what I want and I have narrowed down my choices to about three or four.

The main thing is what I should be getting as far as any accessories. I'm getting a mouse for it, and already have a case I can use for it, but is there anything else I should be sure to get. Specifically, I'm wondering if those "chill mats" I see advertised and on the computer shelves is a necessity. Any other suggestions welcome, too.

2. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

When I'm out and see people on laptops in Panera Bread and other places, I don't see any chill mats under the laptops.

But I'd be interested to know if you really do need them as well.

3. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

If you're actually going to use the laptop on your lap or some other soft surface that might impede the air flow, the mat might be valuable. On a hard surface you should be fine.

4. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Why would you use a mouse? If you haven't used a laptop, it might take you a little bit to get used to the pad, but in a short time, it's second nature. I have a mouse for my laptop and just dont use it because I'm used to the pad.

5. murphyc

murphyc Well-Known Member

I agree about the mouse. When I got my first laptop, I thought a mouse would be much easier than a pad. Really, the pad does become second nature in short time.
    As far as the chill mat, I'd be interested. Some laptops, like my Dell Studio XPS 16, are known to run pretty warm. I use the computer on my lap quite a bit, and often find some paper to put on my lap due to the heat. Maybe I'll have to look into a chill mat. But with my old Dell the heat was no issue, so it depends on how warm your particular model gets.

6. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

I would reccomend a back pack or bag designed for carrying it around, but I'm guessing that is probably on your list.

7. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I have a chill mat. I don't take it to events I'm covering, but I use it at home if it's going to be on my lap or on my couch.

8. lisa_simpson

lisa_simpson Active Member

One thing to keep in mind about the chill mat is the fact that unless it has an outside power source, it WILL drain your battery about twice as fast as normal.

9. BB Bobcat

BB Bobcat Active Member

Depending on where you are using it, you should look into getting a broadband card. The service can be pricey (like $60 a month), but it's a life saver at times you've got no wifi or the wifi doesn't work.

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I normally used a desktop so whenever I use a laptop I rest my hands wrong and delete my entire story or scroll to the wrong place or something. It's kind of annoying.

So I like a mouse but if I used a laptop exclusively, I'd go without.

11. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Some of new phones have a technology that allows you to create your own Wi Fi hot spot which seems like good cheaper alternative to broadband card.

As far as things to consider - think about insurance- Lap tops are the only purchases I get insurance for and it's paid off each time.

12. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I don't always use a lap top, but when I do, I prefer a mouse. Keep clicking, my friends.

Draft saved Draft deleted