1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Close call on Unit's 300th

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Tucsondriver, Jun 6, 2009.

1. Tucsondriver

Tucsondriver Member

An item by 'Duk on big league stew (yahoo! blog) has a photo and a video of the controversial pitch. In the photo, Wilson's pitch looks to be at least 3" low, but the strike zone isn't a plane, and in the video it looks to me like the pitch crosses the front of the plate. I froze at 3 seconds and that's my take. 'Duk raises another interesting point though, which is the way umpires (and scorers, for that matter) routinely consider external factors, like the way hits and errors are scored in the the late innings of a no-hitter, or a borderline pitch in the bottom of the eighth inning of a pitching legend's quest for his 300th win.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/blog/big_league_stew/post/YOU-make-the-call-A-ball-or-strike-for-Dunn-dur?urn=mlb,168338

http://mlb.mlb.com/media/video.jsp?content_id=4875541

2. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  3. bydesign77

bydesign77 Active Member

It was a strike. You know why? Because the umpire said it was.

That's the end of the discussion.

4. bostonbred

bostonbred Guest

Well by God, that solves it all. ::)

5. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Re: Close call on Unit's 300th

but the gamer said it was a knee-high pitch ...

6. SockPuppet

SockPuppet Active Member

That's as much a strike as Randy Johnson is a GQ model.

7. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

Sorry, but the view in that photo cannot be used as the only piece of evidence. You can't tell by looking at that photo whether the ball is in front of, on top of or behind the plate.

Unless you have a side angle view that shows the ball cross the plate, it was strike because, like bydesign said, the ump said it was.

The "approximate line" is lined up with his right/front knee while the other line is lined up with his left/back knee. So, which is his actual strike zone?

Throw another photo or view up there and I might change my mind. Until then: Strike Three!

8. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

From the picture Rumple posted, the ball's level with his back knee -- and splitting the plate in half.

Steeeeee-rike.

9. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

Oh, not to mention, with two strikes, you can't take a pitch that close anyway.

10. spnited

spnited Active Member

I thought it was a horrible call.
    But what I think doesn't matter. I'm not the ump.
    That pic makes it look closer than I thought, definitely too close to take.

11. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Agreed. Looked like a ball in real time. But that picture backs the ump up.

12. GoochMan

GoochMan Active Member

His back knee is lower because he has it bent down, and it's bent down because he's reacting to the pitch.
    Dunn is what, 6'5 or 6'6??? That was a verrrrrrry questionable call. One of the seams might have crossed at the bottom of his kneecap.

Draft saved Draft deleted