1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Close, but no cigar

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by beanpole, Jan 27, 2010.

1. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

Congrats dude.

2. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

On a little bit of tangent, but it's an interesting discussion thought I had about today's employment market.

Do you think employers today look at a employment gap as a bad thing as much as they once did? I mean, they have to realize that with the prevalence of job cuts the last couple years, people could have some big gaps in their history.

Obviously, it's something you can explain once you get the interview. But would an employer look past your resume because it has a 6-12 month gap?

3. Bodie_Broadus

Bodie_Broadus Active Member

I certainly hope they don't look at gaps the same way they once did.

I have pretty much given up hope of finding a job. I am in grad school looking for a gig to help pay the bills, but it isn't going to happen.

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Awesome news. Congrats.

5. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

I hope that's true, because it means I'm due.

6. andyouare?

andyouare? Guest

We had a recent opening and of the six people who interviewed, five had been laid off and had months of gaps in their work resumes. (I talked to each of them for 10-15 minutes -- informally -- as part of the interview process.)

I don't know about other places, but my manager didn't think twice about those gaps. Times are tough and good people are being laid off all over.

One thing I'll add: The person who got the job kept themselves busy during their unemployment. They networked. They went to local professional society meetings and took social media seminars. They showed that they kept active and informed in the profession. (I'm out of newspapers and working in PR, BTW.) The manager(s) really liked that.

7. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

A. Nother Candidate seems to always get the job over me. He must have one heck of a resume and know a lot of people.

8. beanpole

beanpole Member

Nobody said a word about the gap in my resume. But I also said in my cover letter that I was laid off in December.

9. beanpole

beanpole Member

Thanks Ace and JaE. I'd like to think that the hiring market is starting to show some signs of life.

Draft saved Draft deleted