1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Close, but no cigar

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by beanpole, Jan 27, 2010.

1. beanpole

beanpole Member

After being laid off for two months, one of my resumes got a bite. Did three interviews and a critique, fell in love with the company. Imagined myself spending the next 10 years there.

But no dice. Got the word today that I was only the runner-up.

Shit. I'd rather not get a nibble than get so close before losing the job. Now I'm off to interview for a sales job that I have no interest in.

I suck. That is all. :'(

2. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Happens to everyone, man. Keep at it. I felt the same way you did last September, thinking I had nailed the interview at a place where I had a good contact. Ended up not getting it. Landed a better-paying gig a few months later.

It'll work out. Just keep at it.

3. NatureBoy

NatureBoy Member

BP,

I don't know if this will make you feel better, but I think it's good you're getting interviews. I've been gone from my job for a bit longer and I haven't even sniffed an interview. Freelancing had been very good all fall, so I was fine, but it's screeched to a halt since then.

Look at it like this (I will if I ever score an interview): The interview is forward progress. When you're looking for work, forward progress is better than stagnation, which is what I'm facing and it isn't fun. I know you may not be interested in the sales job, but I hope they offer you. It gets you back in the working world and maybe that gives you a little pick-me-up. Good luck to you.

4. fishhack2009

fishhack2009 Active Member

Bean, don't despair. Something will come along.

I interviewed for what I thought would be my dream job last summer, and got it.

It turned out to be the worst career move of my life. After three months, I was able to pull the ejection lever and find something else right before they canned me.

The grass ain't always greener. Sometimes it's just painted green to cover up the brown.

Good luck.

5. dragonzo

dragonzo Guest

Beanpole,
    Don't be too hard on yourself. I know what you're going through; I've had a couple interviews where I was really excited about the job, and they ended up going with someone else. You're down for a day or two, then you just have to get back to it.
    Something will come along.

6. beanpole

beanpole Member

Thanks guys. It's good to have support here.

And most bizarrely, when I was feeling the most down, I got a message in my e-mail inviting me to interview for a pretty good job. It's halfway across the country, but beggars can't be choosers. What started out to be a pretty good awful day suddenly has a little ray of hope.

7. Suicide Squeezer

Suicide Squeezer Active Member

Best of luck, bp. With a little bit of that and perseverance, it'll all work out in the end.

8. gingerbread

gingerbread Well-Known Member

One door opens ...
    Sometimes cliches really are true.

9. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Sounds like adventure calling. Enjoy the ride.

10. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Bean, don't feel so bad. I've been out of work multiple months too, and I've had one interview, for a job that was basically entry level and was a significant pay cut over what I had previously made.

Needless to say, I didn't get it, because they feared that I would bolt at the first opportunity. And for what they were going to pay, I probably would have, so I couldn't blame them.

I've had some frustrating days as well. Yet I keep plugging at it, and hoping that one day, someone will give me another shot.

11. beanpole

beanpole Member

A friend of mine told me that to get hired in today's market, you have to send out 100 resumes. I don't know if that's true, but it feels like it.

I'm sitting here right now with my 3-year-old and wondering how I'm going to make the mortgage payment this summer if I'm still out of work. Sometimes I'm hugely depressed and sometimes I catch myself way in front of myself, making plans even though there's no offer on the table. Most of the time I'm a combination of scared and angry that I'm in this hole, along with thousands of others who've also lost good jobs in this industry.

It's comforting to come here and surf the boards, making comments and catching up on what people are thinking. You guys rock.

12. beanpole

beanpole Member

Bumping this back up to hopefully provide a ray of hope to those on here still looking. That cool job opportunity 1200 miles away has become a reality. I start work on Monday, deeply grateful that I can keep providing for the family while doing something rewarding.

Draft saved Draft deleted