1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Clock ticking on Palin entry

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Aug 26, 2011.

?

Will Sarah Palin run for president in 2012?

1. Yes

3 vote(s)
    10.7%
  2. No

25 vote(s)
    89.3%
  1. CarltonBanks

CarltonBanks New Member

I think the end for Bachman has pretty much come anyway. A few more weeks and she will drop out. From what I hear her money is drying up quickly and there is not a whole lot coming in.

2. kickoff-time

kickoff-time Well-Known Member

Don't you think the average Joe or Mitt, figures Palin is already running for president? Will it be a surprise to them if she says she is running next week or whenever? Or was that bus tour to historic sites, you know, really just a bus tour to historic sites?

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I don't think Bachmann is going away anytime soon. Has anybody ever won the Iowa Straw Poll and then dropped out before the primaries and caucuses even started?

I won't be surprised if she's running fourth or fifth by the time those start, but I don't see her dropping out before then.

4. CarltonBanks

CarltonBanks New Member

It's still a cash game, though. She might not drop out soon, but her days of being taken as a serious candidate are numbered.

5. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Good piece detailing all the early poll leaders who ended up flaming out.

http://www.cnn.com/2011/POLITICS/08/26/early.polls/

Rick Perry, at best is "leading" at 29%. Hardly cause for anyone with a political pulse to drop out of the race -- or decide not to enter.

If early polling mattered, Wesley Clark would have faced off against W in 2004, and Guiliani and Clinton would have faced off in 2008.

The article I linked to makes the point that there is a recent history of late campaign arrivals who zoomed to the top, then flamed out just as fast. So Rick Perry shouldn't book his Going-To-Be-Presidential Suite in Tampa just yet. And Palin shouldn't expect a hero's welcome -- for long -- if she joins the race.

6. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Chris Christie's chest just tightened and he has no idea why.

7. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I love that Ron Paul is ahead of Bachmann - who has all of 10 percent - in that Gallup poll. Paul also finished second in the Iowa Straw Poll. Jon Stewart had a hilarious segment the other night about all the dismissing of Paul as a real candidate. Ultimately, I guess they'll probably be right - he has as much of a chance to win the GOP nomination as I do. But the level of indifference to his campaign was pretty shocking. Is the thinking on him that he has this loyal, built-in fan base with no upside?

8. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I saw the Stewart piece on Paul. Brilliant stuff...

9. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

Here's my sexist pig dog analogy:

Palin would rather flirt with and date the idea of running for president because she gets all the free dinners and fun times.

If she marries the idea, it will mean a whole bunch of commitment and work.

10. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

"GET OFF THE FUCKING BEACH! I MEAN IT! NOW!"

11. suburbia

suburbia Active Member

People are indifferent to Ron Paul's campaign because it's not a compelling story. And it's not a compelling story because everyone knows he has no chance of winning or coming close to winning.

12. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

I see her saying something like -- "I can do more to help the American people by traveling around this great country and talking to real everyday Americans about their problems"

Draft saved Draft deleted