1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Clips via web pages

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by MidwestSportsGuy, Mar 24, 2008.

1. Speaking of clips, what about creating a personal Web page (i.e. through blogspot.com) and attaching that link to the cover letter? I've uploaded my clips to a pretty solid blogspot page that looks sharp and is easy to browse. But are employers cool with this, or would they rather see the hard copies? Seems to me this would save them time (no opening and reading a half dozen articles) while at the same time showing an applicant's ability to use the Web.

Thoughts ...

2. TheHacker

TheHacker Member

I'd say the blog is not a horrible idea, though you should do your best to make sure the site is simple and that it renders well on both IE and Firefox. You never know what kind of computer/browser someone is going to use to access it.

But honestly, as an SE, I'd rather have hard copies of clips. I don't mind links, but when I have an open position, I end up printing stuff out. Sometimes I take it home and read it, and having hard copies made it easier to "make piles." It helps me get organized better.

One other tip for job seekers ... if you're going to put links in an e-mail, make sure they work. The last time I was taking resumes, there were a few links e-mailed to me that either were broken or simply didn't work at all. Again, I don't object to having things sent electronically, but there are so many variables that you're probably safer sending hard copies.

3. PaperDoll

PaperDoll Well-Known Member

I have a personal homepage with PDFs of my clips. I posted a thumbnail image of each clip, which launches a PDF in a new window. They're very large, but legible -- generally a whole sports front or A-1.

I built the page using a Mac program (iWeb?) so the HTML is actually way more complicated than it needs to be -- but it's also easy to update, because I can just download the code back into the program. I created a vanity domain through GoDaddy.com, and I host everything on a remote server. (Hooray for techie friends!)

I include the URL in every cover letter, even if I'm also sending printed clips, because there are many more pieces on the site than I'd include with an application. I'm hoping to post a non-sports clip or two soon as well.

4. Sawker

Sawker New Member

www.findarticles.com is my friend when I'm applying for work.

Draft saved Draft deleted