1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Clips question for hiring editors

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Flash, Jul 27, 2006.

1. Flash

Flash Guest

How many? I'm trying to put together a package to send out and I'm worried about sending too many.

2. 2underpar

2underpar Active Member

unless they specifically ask for more, don't send more than five or six. And don't load up on gamers. My intern who won't STFU can write gamers. Show a little depth to your work.

3. SportsGuyBCK

SportsGuyBCK Active Member

Yes, you definitely need to limit how many clips you send -- I once had an opening for a sports writer at a paper I used to work at, and received a resume from a guy who had a great background and experience, but he forgot to send his clips ... I made the mistake of e-mailing him to inform him of this, and he proceeded to fax them to my office ... the fax ran to more than 100 pages, and had the office manager PO'd at me for a week.

Five to seven should suffice, if they are a good mix -- gamers/sidebars, features, advances, enterprise, etc. -- that show the range of things you can do.

If you have problems whittling down your best stuff, get a co-worker (or co-workers) that you trust to help you make the cuts.

4. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

What about people who post their clips on a website? Is that okay?

5. Flash

Flash Guest

Oooh, there's a good question. Thanks, HB.

And I think I totally suck at gamers. I'm much better at features, profiles and such. I think I have one or two gamers but mostly features and columns. Definitely including the naked curling one.

6. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Hey, it's what I do. [/completely immodest]

In all seriousness, I have my clips on a website. I think it's easier for all parties if I e-mail them the link to my site. Then, at their leisure, they can review my prose.

7. Flash

Flash Guest

OK, so forgive me these days if I'm a wee bit insecure ... it kinda happens in my situation.

Are these two curling clips worthy of clips inclusion?

http://www.canoe.ca/Slam/Curling/2005/11/01/1287836-sun.html

http://www.canoe.ca/Slam/Curling/2006/02/21/1454631-sun.html

Draft saved Draft deleted