1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Clips over email

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Newbie1234, Jul 22, 2008.

1. Newbie1234

Newbie1234 New Member

So I know the easiest way to apply for jobs for everyone involved is probably e-mail, but I have a problem. My paper has an awful internet site that doesn't archive anything, so all I can really pull from to get clips to send is our in-house archived system and then just copy/paste into an e-mail. I think that looks tacky, though.

Anyone else have other suggestions on how do go about doing this in a better-looking, professional way? Thanks.

2. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

another suggestion? stop typing the word over until you know how to use it correctly.

3. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Print the clips, scan them, e-mail the resulting PDF. And before doing so, make sure the person you are sending them to will accept attachments.

4. RecentAZgrad

RecentAZgrad Active Member

I've recently been scanning in copies of the actual clips from the paper and turning them into .jpgs. That way I can print them out if need be for a hardcopy and also send them over email. And .jpg files typically aren't that big, which means they won't flood the email server of the place you're applying to.

Edit: dixiehack beat me to it.

5. jps

jps Active Member

Actually, dixiehack was right ... and you're sort of right. Go with the pdf -- jpg, often, I've had trouble actually reading copy at times, depending on how big the file is. If you run a pdf, no problems zooming in and actually reading the copy.

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

By the way, most newspapers have awful internet sites that don't archive anything so quit yer bitchin.

7. jps

jps Active Member

try google

8. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

And if that doesn't work, bust out the heavy artillery.

http://www.archive.org/web/web.php

9. jps

jps Active Member

wow. someone oughta show that to the boys at the DMN!

10. SportsDude

SportsDude Active Member

We keep an archive of pages in PDF format on our server. We always used those as clips. I also keep an archive of my stories with Microsoft Word. I usually ask which type of clip they prefer - pdf or word - then send.

11. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

I'm not a fan of PDF files, so I never send them over that way to editors or hiring managers.

What I do is, if I have a good clip, or column I go to our website and copy and paste it into microsoft word.

Then I spend some time making sure all the characters came over correctly, make sure the headline and subhead is bolded. I make sure the paper name, date and byline are correct and at the top. After it looks good, clean and real I tuck it away in a file and then when its time to submit the resume I send out whichever clips would work the best for the job by just attaching the word docs through email.

12. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Apply for jobs?

Somebody is hiring?

Draft saved Draft deleted