1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Clips on CD vs. Paper

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by BRoth, Dec 26, 2006.

1. BRoth

BRoth Member

I'm getting ready to send out some resumes, etc. and I was wondering if anyone sends out their clips on a CD instead of paper copies. I've saved a whole bunch of clips on my computer and wasn't sure if editors have any preference or even care in which form they get them.

Thoughts?

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I use CD and have it html-driven... makes it easier and shows you can think enough to do something like this.

3. suburbia

suburbia Active Member

I've heard in the past that editors like to see the actual page of the newspaper, or at least a xerox of it, so they can see how your work was featured. Is this still the case?

4. BRoth

BRoth Member

Pretty much all of the clips are things I've already cut out of the paper and scanned onto the computer. Some I've cut out and taped on normal sheets of paper to make scanning and reading easier. I've never made it habit to actually cut out the entire page, especially since it would make getting a copy of the page that much harder.

5. thegrifter

thegrifter Member

Personally, I hate looking at clips on CD. It's a pain in the ass.

6. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

photog editor dorks view cds in the hirng process. most SEs i know use them while skeet shooting

7. Dale Cooper

Dale Cooper Member

Some editors like clips as email attachments, but don't send physical CDs. Email or paper would be the way to go.

8. MC Sports Guy

MC Sports Guy Member

As an editor at a paper that has questionable equipment, I can tell you that CD's won't always play well on my machine, therefore I may not be able to view your clips. I'm sure this isn't the case at a lot of shops, but it might be at some.

9. melock

melock Well-Known Member

Something people can read on paper is always the way to go in my book. Just a preference though.

10. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Yep. Same here.

I'm not an editor, and I'm of the generation where burning CDs of anything is considered a downright ordinary task, but I expect to be sending paper clips clips on paper for the foreseeable future.

Too many variables involved in sending a CD of clips -- the editor's machine capability, the editor's software accessibility, the editor's ability to, ahem, use a computer for more than just typing ...

11. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Here's another variable: What about providing links to all your stories in the Web archives of papers you've worked at? I did that once at a paper I got hired at, and that was almost 7 years ago.

12. The CD drive on my work computer is busted ... and I'm in the online department, so I have one of the better systems in the place. I wouldn't count on newsroom personnel having fully functioning computers any time soon.

Draft saved Draft deleted