1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Clinton vs. Fox News

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by D-Backs Hack, Sep 23, 2006.

1. spup1122

spup1122 Guest

Yeah, I don't read things that call democrats a disease.

And, once again, idiotsnetwork, you're wrong. The phrase is genocide, no plural. It is NOT "genocide's," as you seem to think. Making mistakes in one post means nothing compared to the numerous mistakes you make in every post.

2. "Say" was a typo. While we're at it, so was "pursuit." "Genocides" is correct. It's the plural form-not the possessive. Duh.

3. Trouser_Buddah

Trouser_Buddah Active Member

This is my favorite part :)

"This is what you have to do to solve the problem. We did that, but the problem remains ..."

4. spup1122

spup1122 Guest

My bad, babe. I didn't think genocides could be plural. I figured it would be "acts of genocide."

Thanks for the info...not that I'll write about that anytime soon, but it's good to know.

5. Stretch15

Stretch15 Member

First, before I post this, I want it known that I am in no way defending indiansnetwork. I've seen too many of his other posts to do that. I'm relaying simple economic facts.

However, his economic lag statement is relatively accurate. During my grad school days, we spent a good deal of our economics class talking about this subject. This lag is why so many economists are calling for the Fed to stop raising interest rates right now - because the full effects of these interest rate hikes won't be fully felt throughout the economy for 12-18 months, and they are afraid that the Fed has raised rates too far already.

http://www.amosweb.com/cgi-bin/awb_nav.pl?s=wpd&c=dsp&k=recognition+lag

Here are the highlights:

The time lag that it takes to identify and document the existence of an economic problem that might require government action. The recognition lag arises because it takes time to collect and analyze economic data; to verify that an actual problem exists. This "inside lag" is one of four policy lags associated with monetary and fiscal policy. The other two "inside lags" are decision lag and implementation lag, and one "outside lag" is implementation lag. All four policy lags can reduce the effectiveness of business-cycle stabilization policies and can even destabilize the economy.

Impact Lag: This is the time it takes for full effect of a government policy to work its way through the economy and cause the desired changes in production and income. This lag works through the multiplier process and is likely to take a couple of years.

Many economists argue exactly how long the lag actually takes - some say 2-3 years, some say 3-5. But there is a definite lag.

Every President that moves into the Oval Office is not responsible for either an economic boom or economic bust that occur during the first few years of his term. That's not the way the economy works.

6. indiansnetwork

indiansnetwork Active Member

Its sort of like cancer. Just because you kill the cancer cells you can see does not mean that cancer does not still reside inside the body, Hench the patience and perseverance. I am sure you would claim victory and continue to live like you had before (that caused the cancer) because you like the short and easy answers. Radical ideologies are not eliminated because you drop a few bombs and fire a few bullets. It is a process that takes more than a week, month or a year to fix. Just because you can't see the mosquitos under the leaves doesn't mean they will not bite you. You have to start large and then work your way down to the personal level. I am sure you also believe in doctor induced suicide and abortion because it easier than facing the truth or reality. Weak minded people can't stand the heat so they cause chaos when none exists.

7. Grammar is tough for all of us sometimes, though not as tough as it is for indiansnetwork. :)

8. Stretch15

Stretch15 Member

Absolutely Buck. Clinton's policies set the table for much of what happened in the late 90s. No doubt.

9. Then I presume Clinton was repsonsible for the economic "bust" of 2000-02?

10. indiansnetwork

indiansnetwork Active Member

The reality is that fairly or unfairly presidents have little to no influence on the economy but are judged on how the economy is at the time of his presidency. The most important roles for a president is national defense, international relations and nationalism.

11. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Wow.

Oh, there's a small thing called "domestic policy" which, you know, is kinda important.

12. Stretch15

Stretch15 Member

The "seeds of many of the economic problems" sentence in paragraph two claims that problems in the economy were brewing long before the market crashed, which is the lag we're talking about.

http://www.house.gov/jec/press/2003/07-14-03.htm

WASHINGTON, D.C. - The bursting of the stock market bubble in 2000 has had long-lasting negative effects on business investment and economic growth, according to a new study released today by Joint Economic Committee (JEC) Vice Chairman Jim Saxton. The soaring stock market had encouraged and facilitated increases in business investment up to its peak in early 2000, but the popping of the bubble reversed this process. For most of the period since 2000, business investment has been a drag on economic growth. The new study, Economic Repercussions of the Stock Market Bubble, examines the relationship between the stock market bubble, business investment, and economic growth.

"The seeds of many of the economic problems of recent years were sown during the stock market bubble and its aftermath," Saxton said. "For example, between its peak in March of 2000 and January 2001, the Nasdaq composite index fell by an incredible 45 percent. The popping of the stock market bubble exposed many excessive and bad business investments made in the late 1990s, and had a devastating impact on new investment that was to last for several years. As one high-ranking Fed official noted, 'The effects of the bursting of the stock market have proven to be far more long term and pervasive than expected.'

"The economic adjustments forced by the stock market bubble continue to be a factor in the current economic situation. Business investment remains weak, and this has undermined the pace of economic growth. Many firms in the high technology sector have been under intense pressure, and some have gone bankrupt. Related manufacturing operations have been hard-hit, and factory employment has declined every month since the summer of 2000. While monetary policy, terrorism attacks, war, energy prices and other factors have been important, the aftereffects of the stock market bubble have had major and continued negative effects on investment and economic growth," Saxton concluded.

Draft saved Draft deleted