1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Clinton Portis was about to murder his financial manager

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Jun 28, 2017.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Clinton Portis's public bankruptcy, private fury

Prepared as he was to commit murder, sacrificing his freedom and his name for revenge, he never found whom he was looking for. But what if he had caught a glimpse before coming to his senses? What if their paths had crossed, there in the darkness? Portis doesn’t hesitate: “We’d probably be doing this interview from prison.”

Sneaky getaway get-up, too.

[​IMG]

2. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

Would have been the perfect crime: He could easily frame Sheriff Gonna Getcha or Dolla Bill for it.

3. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

About 90% of rags-to-riches stories end like this, sadly. It's either blowing your wad on the entourage and Bentleys, or making it rain at Da Club, or trusting someone shady to handle the money.

4. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

And it really is about being too stupid or arrogant. Look at Bernard Hopkins. He did not have an Ivy League education, but he has some common sense.

5. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Hard to believe this guy got clowned.

6. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

That is a special kind of crazy there.

7. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

As part of a story once, I went out "clubbing" with Clinton and Santana Moss. (They told me to say I was John Hall, the kicker. I'm white, but there the similarities end. Everybody bought it.) I went over to the Virginia house, saw the giant aquariums, watched a barber come over and get paid big money to make Clinton's hair look pretty much exactly the way it looked before, and then we went out. I don't have an actual total of what Clinton spent that night, but it was tens of thousands of dollars. He owned the VIP section. There were concentric circles of women around us, and dozens of bottles of champagne and God knows what else (it was very hard to get just, like, a beer) and we were there all night. He spent a fortune. And it was just a regular night, nothing fancy.

So: While I have no doubt that his financial advisers were pieces of fraudulent shit, Clinton also spent his money in a way that would have made the Sultan of Brunei blush.

Those are the twin pillars of athlete bankruptcy.

8. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I went to interview Moses Malone once. He showed up in a Jeep, pretty similar to what I drove. When he signed his first huge contract, he paid an independent auditor to go through all the books at his agent's firm. He had a very nice house but nothing crazy. Bought his mom a nice house, but nothing crazy. Sent her some money every month, again nothing crazy (she was a regular at the bingo game I ran to support my kids' swim team). His agent told me Moses was so good with his money that he couldn't spend all his money if he tried.

For the same story, one of his earlier coaches told me Moses used to read financial magazines and stock tables on bus trips.

People thought he was dim. He was shy, for a while had a bit of a speech impediment, made him nervous doing interviews. We should all be so dim. When he died so young last year, he left behind quite a fortune to take care of his family for as long as they'll live.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2017
  9. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

You can kind of tell the guys who are going to be all right and the ones who won't be. Carlos Delgado comes to mind as a guy who knew what he was doing and would only get richer after retirement. Derek Jeter's another.

Clinton Portis was doomed.

10. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Great anecdote.

(For real.)

11. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

That ESPN 30-for-30 "Broke" was pretty compelling. Jamal Mashburn, his story turned out nice. He used his basketball to set himself up nicely. He said something to the effect of these being the best, most satisfying years of his life.

12. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

Malone was a very nice guy. Ran into him more than a few times late in his life and he was always friendly, down to earth, and fun to chat with.

Draft saved Draft deleted