1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Clinton Portis, dog lover

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by outofplace, May 22, 2007.

1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/6836960

I hadn't seen a thread on this yet. Maybe it's in the Michael Vick thread, but I think this bit of stupidity deserves its own.

Clinton Portis did not just support Michael Vick, who is under investigation for involvement of dog fights that were held on his property. He insisted that there is nothing wrong with dog fighting at all. It's just a private matter behind closed doors and, in his feeble mind, it would be a terrible injustice for a "role model" like Michael Vick to be put in jail for such a thing.

Discuss.

2. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Violent sport played by people who are violent and don't look deeply into the future.

Not a surprise in the least.

That opinion is hardly in some exclusive minority in the NFL, I guarantee.

3. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Oh, I'm sure there are others. I saw clips from the TV interview and his teammate, Chris Samuels, was laughing along with Portis. Doesn't make him any less of an idiot.

4. Hustle

Hustle Guest

Of course there was the inevitable tersely-worded follow-up thanks to the PR folks. I have a feeling Portis would only vaguely recall being consulted about it.

5. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Anybody who doesn't see a problem with dog fighting is seriously fucked in the head.

6. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

And Portis throws his hat into the ring for PETA's man of the year award. Right next to Vick and the LSU spokesman who said, simply, "We intend to get another tiger."

Reading that story this morning, it seemed like they were joking. Didn't see the TV interview, but it's hard to believe they could be serious about that. Perhaps a little tasteless, if you're a PETA member, but the whole Vick case is kind of wacky anyway so why not have fun with it?

7. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

It's so unfair that the media asks serious questions to and solicit opinions from delusional sociopaths and those with developmental, intellectual and emotional disaibilites such as Clinton Portis.

8. IU90

IU90 Member

I love the "its his property" line of defense. So we're allowed to commit crimes as long as its on our property? Shit, I wish I'd known about this earlier. Think I'll have a get-together at my place tonight, guest list to include that rich ole lady in need of a good mugging and that prick from work I'd been wishing would disappear.

9. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

I saw the interview, and I wouldn't be surprised if Portis was talking completely tongue-in-cheek. He also called Michael Vick a fine, upstanding member of society -- which is about as untrue as anything.

10. SoSueMe

SoSueMe Active Member

I saw it, too. It was strange. And the guy beside him was sort of laughing, so that gave me the impression of tongue-in-cheek.

It was strange to say the least.

11. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Portis made some dumb statements, but he is right on this front -- if there is no proof that Vick was (a) an owner of a dog that fought or (b) bet on the dogs then I'm not sure what his crime is. I keep hearing that people have seen him attend the fights -- well if that is enough to get him in trouble, then a whole lot of others who witnessed him there should be in trouble too.

12. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

I don't think dog fighting is right nor do I see cock fighting as right. I think both are wrong.

But I disagree with your assertion that people who think it is OK or enjoy it are fucked up for the simple fact that this isn't much different than the ultimate fighting craze or other forms of hand-to-hand one-on-one mano-a-mano fighting.

I take no pleasure in watching guys get their legs broken in a ring or females beating the shit out of each other, but some people do. So it shouldn't be shocking that people enjoy dog fighting as well.

Draft saved Draft deleted