1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Clinton concedes

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by novelist_wannabe, Jun 7, 2008.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I'd bet serious money on Florida going to McCain.

2. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

The significant redneck/racist factor make it a tough pickup for BO, under current conditions.

3. Mizzougrad96

I wonder how big the redneck/racist factor is going to be in this election.

The thing is, a lot of the states that usually fall into that category also have huge African-American populations.

If you watch the news, it looks like Obama is going to win easily, but then you see the polls that have them almost even.

4. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

What screwed her was that she decided not to try hard in the Republican caucus states.
    Racking up wins in Kansas and such made it look like Obama was riding this tidal wave of support, while Clinton was winning the states where the people lived.
    The map looks a lot like the 2000 and 2004 elections with Clinton's support bunched up on the coasts and random spots in the South — Arkansas and Tennessee — while Obama's support looks a lot like the red state fallout.
    Obama ran a good campaign and I think 2008 will go his way.
    With 271 needed, he's more than halfway there with California, New York, Illinois, Massachusetts, Connecticut, Oregon, Washington, Hawaii and the District of Columbia.
    Georgia will be in play because of Bob Barr. Arkansas and Tennessee might just flip as well. Colorado, New Mexico and Nevada are all looking blue as well.
    Win a big chunk of the rust belt, and not even Ohio and that's up and over 270.

5. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

The country is fed up with the grandstanding GOP and the empty promises of "family values" while the handouts keep going to the corps and top 1%. That is why Obama will win and carry the lesser southern states.

Yes Obama is not going to win over the rednecks, but of the whites in the U.S., there is a large portion that are relatively middle class educated that can see through McCain and the GOP, they will be the key swing votes.

6. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

BO's winning Jersey. Don't even think about it.

7. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

And the handouts will keep going to the corps and the top 1%

8. JayFarrar

My mistake on Jersey, I left it out.
    http://www.270towin.com/

My map has Obama 284, McCain 254 with Clinton or Clark on the ticket.
    With Strickland it is 293 for Obama, and 245 for McCain.

9. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Yeah, I don't get their map. Obama is going to win Iowa, Wisconsin and Minnesota, by perhaps as much as 10 points each.

10. Mizzougrad96

I don't see McCain beating Obama-Strickland.

Maybe McCain can change the constitution and put Arnold on the ticket so he can win Calif. :D

11. JayFarrar

You can select the states you want for 2008 or look at previous elections. Makes it a pretty cool modeling tool. Or just something fun to play with.

12. Mizzougrad96

I must admit, when I look at that map, I don't see McCain winning...

Draft saved Draft deleted