1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Clinton concedes

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by novelist_wannabe, Jun 7, 2008.

1. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Re: BREAKING: CLINTON CONCEDES

That's certainly possible.

Or its possible that she's full of shit.

But the attitudes you're talking about certainly predate Obama's run for the presidency.

Anyway, she made a classy, gracious speech and should be recognized for such.

2. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Hildebeast? No sexism here. Move along.
    Despite the appearance that Clinton made a strong statement for party unity and that everyone's focus should be on getting a Democrat elected President, it becomes a calculation on her part or that it should have happened earlier.
    If it was a calculation, it helps Obama. What will be the lead story in every Sunday paper, every Sunday talk show, the whole focus will be on Obama.
    What a terrible position to be in.
    Eyes on the prize.

3. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

If Hillary were born a man (she and her husband are as tough to differentiate as ever) and acted as immaturely as this persona has over the last six months, then he, she, it, whatever you want to call the THING, would be warmed over the coals of sensible public opinion every bit as much as she has been.

My mother was a nurse in Vietnam, experienced the Tet first-hand. She's had more vile things -- I hear them daily to where I have to change the subject -- to say about Hillary Clinton than I've heard any man belch forth. I'm in regular communication with other women who served in that Air Force unit from 1968-70 and they have the same thing to say. They are Obamans to a (wo)man.

So let's get past the sexism thing, please. It's another obstruction, here anyway, where some linear progress is sorely needed. Save it for where it's really a problem.

4. jagtrader

jagtrader Active Member

Well, it was obviously bullshit. She was forced into this position because her political supporters were going to bail on her. She may have been gracious today. I didn't -- and won't -- watch the speech. But it doesn't make up for her behavior over the last couple of months. And people saying she's wonderful today after all her nonsense the last few months are letting her off the hook too easily. That's why our politicians do whatever the hell they want.

5. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

You could make that case after every primary.

Candidate A tells you why Candidate B sucks . . . then endorses Candidate B weeks or months later when Candidate B wins the nomination.

The fact that McCain endorsed Bush without holding his nose after that 2000 stunt is every bit as offensive as anything Hillary has done.

6. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

You can't do that. It's racist. Or sexist. Or both. Or neither. Anyway, you're not alllowed.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  7. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

One thing that has always struck me is the disparity of the use of personal pronouns when Obama and Clinton speak.
    Hillary's concession speech used I or me 84 times in a 51 paragraph speech, Obama's speech Tuesday featured 28 I's or mes in a 32 graph speech.

8. bigbadeagle

bigbadeagle Member

Clinton's smart enough to know when the game is up, but that was the least convincing speech I've heard her give. You could almost feel her forcing out the words while thinking, "I can still kick his ass. I know I can."

9. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

It's not offensive. It's called being a good sport and doing what's best for the party.

Hillary appeared very gracious today. She would have come across much better if this was the speech she gave Thursday night or Friday.

I don't have a problem with it, I just can't help but wonder if Obama promised her something to get it.

10. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

She won't be on the ticket.
    HELL of a speech. Anyone who says otherwise is sniffing something. I won't argue the timing or any of that because I don't know what's involved in deals, closing a campaign or whatever. The speech itself? Terrific. My son, who would rather spend his life eating dog shit than saying anything good about Hillary, watched and said afterward, "Wow. Great job."

I wanted to be President. Ain't gonna happen. So now let's make sure this guy is President.

Well done.

11. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

You just want your boy Webb to be on the ticket... :D

12. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Actually, I'd prefer Kaine. But I'll take Webb.

Draft saved Draft deleted