1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Clint or The Duke

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Jun 2, 2008.

?

Who made the best westerns (acting only!) Clint Eastwood or John Wayne?

1. Clint Eastwood

24 vote(s)
    63.2%
  2. John Wayne

14 vote(s)
    36.8%
  1. Bob Slydell

Bob Slydell Active Member

I love that line.

I always said I'm naming y dog Dog because of Big Jake.

And while not a Western, I love, love, love The Quiet Man.

2. beardpuller

beardpuller Active Member

Was "The Undefeated" the Wayne movie with Roman Gabriel as an Indian?
    I interviewed Gabriel once in the '80s. He had the movie poster in his office.

3. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Speaking of ex-Rams QBs, Vince Ferragamo now runs a real estate office ("Touchdown Realty") about 1 mile from where I used to live in SoCal.

4. pallister

pallister Guest

The first memory I have of ever noticing a newspaper was the day after John Wayne died. My parents were dragging me around with them in our small town and the paper in the rack outside the grocery store, with the banner headline saying John Wayne died, stopped my dad in his tracks. My dad LOVED John Wayne, and I think that's also the first time I can remember realizing my father was sad.

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

That was a stupid movie, by the way.

6. Double J

Double J Active Member

How about Randolph Scott and John Wayne in "The Spoilers"?

Better yet, I give you the Duke and Jimmy Stewart (and Lee Marvin) in "The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance." That one had a great line after Duke revealed to Jimmy that he, not Jimmy, had killed Valance: "Cold-blooded murder, but I can live with it."

7. SportsDude

SportsDude Active Member

My absolute favorite movie of all time. Stewart, Duke and Marvin are three of my all time favorite actors, but Edmund O'Brien, the scrappy one-man newspaper, steals the movie.

8. Double J

Double J Active Member

"When fact becomes legend, print the legend."

:)

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Good point. You are correct.

10. beardpuller

beardpuller Active Member

Absolutely. But it did give us Rock Hudson wearing a hat with a feather in it, which turned out to be prescient, in a way.
    [​IMG]

11. Double J

Double J Active Member

Who in the general public could have guessed in 1955 that during the filming of "Giant," Rock Hudson and James Dean would have been hotter for each other than either of them would have been for Liz Taylor, who was a certified goddess at that point in history?

Things that make you go hmmmm........

12. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

James Dean? Really? Ya learn something new everyday.

Draft saved Draft deleted