1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Clint or The Duke

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Jun 2, 2008.

?

Who made the best westerns (acting only!) Clint Eastwood or John Wayne?

1. Clint Eastwood

24 vote(s)
    63.2%
  2. John Wayne

14 vote(s)
    36.8%
  1. For my money it's John Wayne.
    The Shootist, Wayne's last movie is one of all-time favorites. I also love the two Rooster Cogburn flicks and the Cowboys. Red River is pretty good too.

2. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

Perhaps it's Wayne because he created an archetype, but he was bound to it. To a modern eye, I think his characters border on being caricatures. Call me a heathen if you want, but Eastwood's just the better actor.

3. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Dirty Harry Callaghan is the fucking man.

4. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Eastwood. I never cared for Wayne.

5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Eastwood's the better actor, but his westerns were average.

6. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

I also never cared for the way people reacted to Wayne's war movies -- like he was a war hero, or something.

7. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

The Duke was the blowhard who made you laugh because he was so full of himself.
    Clint's characters really didn't give a shit what you thought of him.

Funny thing about the two, The Duke was so impressed with Dirty Harry he made McQ, a by-his-own-rules cop in Seattle. He also made Brannigan, set in London.

I think Eastwood has a better sense of himself as an actor, you look at the roles he's taken and imagine Wayne's "look at me" take on them and they just don't work. But I think Eastwood could have done most of Wayne's roles in his sleep.
    But again, different eras. Wayne was a movie star, Eastwood more of an actor.

8. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I agree that Eastwood is the better actor, but not when it comes to westerns.

9. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Eastwood by miles no matter what kind of movie it is.

10. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

And let's give a little credit to John Ford, he made Wayne the mythical figure, just as Leone helped define Eastwood's "man of few words" persona.

11. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

I'll vote for Eastwood, given the phrasing of the question.

Imagine, though, a young Duke sauntering through Pale Rider.

12. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

I named my dog after the Duke.

Draft saved Draft deleted